The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's this for a change?? (ash body progress)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I "age" it by adding yellow tint to it?
yes
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
no
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: How's this for a change?? (ash body progress) Reply with quote

Well, I just got done sanding the sealer coat and now I am finished applying cherryburst. The back is a little wider than I like but I was kinda expecting cherryburst to be wide (it was on the Fenders). There are some minor blemish in some area, but they are small enough that I can ignore them and I will let the subsequent clear coat blend them in. I am tempted to leave this as it is, it looks so nice! I was going to spray a coat of yellow dye to make it "aged" but I think this is good! Im still waiting on the dye from LMI (Its holidays here, both the mid autumm festival and the independence day so theres a 5 day break from the post office! damm!)

Oh and by the way, after using lacquer mixed with dyes I will not spray alcohol mixed with dyes again. They spray like #@!# because they spit like crazy, then they tend to pool up and end up looking like crap anyways. You can use lacquer thinner however be aware that if you do not thicken the mixture it will spit unless you use an Iwata Eclipse with a #1 tip with very low pressure. Thicken it to the consistency of low fat milk or something and it will never spit! If using compressed air cans put them in a pot of warm water or else pressure will drop in like 10 seconds of spraying. Yes I did all this using a 10 dollar airbrush and compressed air cans.

Last edited by Taiwan Luthier on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Houndog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far Rahimiiii. Cool
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The burst looks great. Dont age it. If you want to add a little amber to the center or tinted clear, it might look cool. I think it will tone down the brightness of the unfinished center a bit. I like what I see so far though.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
The burst looks great. Dont age it. If you want to add a little amber to the center or tinted clear, it might look cool. I think it will tone down the brightness of the unfinished center a bit. I like what I see so far though.

I agree... plus its more work too... do you think I should sand the back and make the burst narrower? I think its way too wide. I need to make some corrections because theres a few spots in the horns I missed...
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a little wide on the back, but not so wide that it looks bad. Cool
SG Lou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great the way it is. I'd say leave it and on to the clear !
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG Lou wrote:
I think it looks great the way it is. I'd say leave it and on to the clear !

I went ahead and "corrected" the back anyways. Sanded the back to sealer then tried my best to blend in the existing line into a burst, easier said than done, now the burst end up looking darker than the front (not that it is a problem) but it does look a lot better... will add pictures later. I think the clear coat is doing a good job of blending in the line however, but it will take several coats to do this.

Strutco: I have contemplated spraying yellow/amber in the center, but I don't know if I should because the overspray from the red is actually doing a good job of giving the wood a slightly pinkish tint, and spraying additional colors means additional complication (which I have enough of already). Besides I have a feeling that the sanding sealer is real nitrocellouse lacquer (real as in whatever Leo used back in the 1950's) because it dries VERY fast, like cured hard as a rock in a day rather than a week. So if I am correct then it will yellow rather quickly as well... meaning if I tint it now it will look weird later on.

here is the picture I promised.

Last edited by Taiwan Luthier on Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: