The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to burst, or not to burst, that is the question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

To burst or not to burst
leave clear
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1954 sunburst
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
aged/un-aged cherryburst
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
color burst (whatever color, blue, green, whatever)
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: to burst, or not to burst, that is the question... Reply with quote

The pictures of my body is in my sig... (a photobucket album)

There are a few ugly dark spots in the bottom of the body about 2 inches from where the strap buttom goes, and I have been thinking, the face and back looks real nice, I was wondering should I do a cherry burst, or aged cherry burst, or a 1954 strat sunburst (if you look at those 2004 50th anniversary strats... its a sunburst with a band of black and nothing else, on ash body) or leave as is and clearcoat. I wanted to add some color to make the body look a little more exciting and I was looking into some kind of a burst with an airbrush.

By the way thanks to 5 minute epoxy all the grains are filled... I hope they dont pop up later on though.
frpax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First vote cast. Cherryburst. I'd do aged.

~Ace Frehley
RyanF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for a blueburst or a redburst. I am partial to these I must say, but i think a color like this would keep the spots from sticking out. Check out both guitars on www.guitarfrenzy.com
nimhb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy this:
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/names/fender-stratocaster-%281960%29--30U-13528.htm
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanF wrote:
I say go for a blueburst or a redburst. I am partial to these I must say, but i think a color like this would keep the spots from sticking out. Check out both guitars on www.guitarfrenzy.com

the link's bad... it takes me to some sites with some links.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii, I saw this and immediately thought of your spraying indoors problems and limited access to certain things. I wonder if this is something you might be able to use and be interested in. I have to admit, I have no idea how well this works but they clai it can be used to shoot lacquer, stains, water based finishes and oil-based paints. HVLP Gun
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
rahimiiii, I saw this and immediately thought of your spraying indoors problems and limited access to certain things. I wonder if this is something you might be able to use and be interested in. I have to admit, I have no idea how well this works but they clai it can be used to shoot lacquer, stains, water based finishes and oil-based paints. HVLP Gun

I dont do that many guitars... I only do like a few every maybe 4 months or so. I am good with spray paint because it works better and no clean up (cleaning airbrushes is enough of a chore and paint thinners isnt that cheap) and cheap hobby airbrushes serves my need just fine. I have learned to spray darker than I plan to however because it seems the subsequent coat of spray paint tends to dilute the dyes a bit and cause them to appear lighter. I dont know if that is really the case though. I rather avoid buying a compressor because its not something that I will be using all the time, and it is quite bulky as well. You know on a side note I wonder if anyone has a paschee VL or H type airbrush for sale that I can buy cheaper because only dealers will ship overseas on ebay, and they aren't any cheaper than regular dealers like dixie art...
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, thought it might have interested you. I'll keep my open for you on airbrushes too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: