The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

suggestions for this one
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what finish for this body?
2-3 tone sunburst
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
grainfill then clearcoat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
transparant (any color)
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
honey/tobacco/cherry burst
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other (please specify)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: suggestions for this one Reply with quote

I expect this to be a 2 month project.... that mighty mite body I bought earlier has more problems besides thick paint... I guess I drilled the trem stud hole too big and now its causing problems with the stud coming out when the guitar is unstrung. Also I dont like the lack of contour of the mighty mite body and I was thinking of stripping down (1/8 inch of liquid concrete) and deepening the contour but wasn't worth it... so I got this warmoth body instead...

I wonder what should I do? should I do a burst, either traditional sunburst or honey or tobacco burst...?

note that clear coat will be the cheapest option for me because all I need to purchase is 3 clear spray paint and grainfiller... I will use waterbased because I hate oil based filler. I will probably brush on sealer after grainfill then let it shrink for 2 weeks (so I got time for my next paycheck for supplies)

bursts would look nice but I need to buy another hobby airbrush (about 15 dollars with propel can and stuff, only lasts one project cause the plastic siphon hose can't stand up to lacquer thinner) and same thing with transparants, if its anything other than red, amber, or brown I will need to make another order from LMI (to buy more alcohol based dyes)
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has Mary Kaye written all over it! Very Happy

-Ralph
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
frpax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:

-Ralph

I second that motion!

~Ace Frehley
Houndog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to be much help on this one, I think whatever you do it will look great, as long as it's not a solid colour! Cool
RyanF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trans blue or red, with dark grainfill. Maybe a blackburst around the edge.
stratman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender blonde with a burst. Are you doing a rosewood or maple neck that will help determine a color choice.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman wrote:
Fender blonde with a burst. Are you doing a rosewood or maple neck that will help determine a color choice.

Im using a maple warmoth neck with pau ferro board....

Funny that I ordered 2 days ago and the item is still on their showcase page and they said it take a day to get it out... what's going on? are they usually busier than usual?
MapleTree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahimiiii wrote:
Funny that I ordered 2 days ago and the item is still on their showcase page and they said it take a day to get it out... what's going on? are they usually busier than usual?

They don't update their website every day as far as I know.
JRJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RyanF. A trans red would look great with that particular wood. Although something like a honey/cherry burst (no tobacco in this one) would look cool too. Whatever you do, just don't go solid with it. The guitar gods will get you for covering up that grain! Smile

-Johnny
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRJ wrote:
I agree with RyanF. A trans red would look great with that particular wood. Although something like a honey/cherry burst (no tobacco in this one) would look cool too. Whatever you do, just don't go solid with it. The guitar gods will get you for covering up that grain! Smile

-Johnny

I guess I will go with a cherryburst or just clear coat it.... I always wanted to have a clear coated or cherryburst ash strat (I see it at the store all the time...)

I wont do solid color cause I hate grain filling enough and if I were to do a solid I would have gotten a cheaper body (like poplar or 50 dollar saga strat kit body)
adjason

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second or third the mary kay - I would stick with chrome hardware but with that grain that would look sweet. also maybe consider clear-although some think they look cheesy, i like the 70's era clear strats.
Houndog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still grainfill even if you want it natural. It won't affect the way it looks and you'll end up with a nice smooth finish. I'm doing a 3 tone burst for a customer right now and I was tempted to talk him into a natural finish because the body looked so good after filling and S&S.

Sorry about the small picture, I resized without adjusting the setting for how big I wanted it, but this is the one I'm talking about. I almost didn't want to paint it because it looked so good natural! Cool
RyanF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how much epoxy or grainfiller costs in taiwan, but you should definately not skip it. It will be worth it in the end.
Jerry68

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:

-Ralph

I agree!

Its also related to why pickup makers generally don't take other makers who offer things like II/V P90s seriously... it's basically just marketing BS.
Taiwan Luthier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanF wrote:
I dont know how much epoxy or grainfiller costs in taiwan, but you should definately not skip it. It will be worth it in the end.

You are misreading my post... I did say im gonna grainfill it... its just that oil based grainfillers hasnt been to good to me in the past (wont dry... stays gummy and clogs papers) and I can get waterbased grainfiller here at a B and Q... its just that is water based grainfiller any good? why isnt anyone using it here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: