The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relic Q & A Moved here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondraper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha sounds like genius's thought of those tools.. Ibanez collector, I saw a really heavy reliced sunburst strat you did where the back of the guitar's finish was almost completely gone and had lots of chipped jagged edges. What too are you using to get rid of all that paint while making the edges jagged? I just can't seem to find a good tool for it
ibanezcollector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewelers screw driver flat head, and a lot of time, scraping paint piece by piece Smile

on a plus side its really controlled
jondraper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that definietely is good to know. I guess I've been trying to go a little too quick at it and do it in larger increments expecting different results. I'll use a small flathead the next time i'm trying something like that. I also love the almost "ripped" look to the front and sides of your stuff down close to the bottom of the guitar. I don't know if that makes sense or not.. but whatever
SpanishCastleMagic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: SRV strat Reply with quote

Hey lowend, that SRV #1 relic you did looks GREAT!!!
I would love to see some more pics of the whole guitar.
Would you care to post some additional pics to this thread?

Thanks
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SRV strat Reply with quote

SpanishCastleMagic wrote:
Hey lowend, that SRV #1 relic you did looks GREAT!!!
I would love to see some more pics of the whole guitar.
Would you care to post some additional pics to this thread?

Thanks

Here's a few, thought I had more of it completely finished. These were before the final finishing touches, but you get the idea. I'll post more when I find them. I know they are saved somewhere.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
SpanishCastleMagic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: SRV #1 Pics Reply with quote

Thanks Lowend,
Those pics are just great. Really, really nice looking work,
Do you mind me asking what you did to get those those long left to right scrapes in the wood directly above the neck and middle pickups?
Also did you use some kind of a template? How did you take off all the paint while only leaving those specific painted areas behind and what did you use to give the bare wood that darkened color?

Again, absolutely beautiful work!

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Chris
Tha LowEnd Theory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SRV #1 Pics Reply with quote

SpanishCastleMagic wrote:
Thanks Lowend,
Those pics are just great. Really, really nice looking work,
Do you mind me asking what you did to get those those long left to right scrapes in the wood directly above the neck and middle pickups?
Also did you use some kind of a template? How did you take off all the paint while only leaving those specific painted areas behind and what did you use to give the bare wood that darkened color?

Again, absolutely beautiful work!

Thanks a lot for sharing,

Chris

I stained the wood using minwax(walnut I believe). Then I held the guitar in playing position and just went over it with a heavy guitar pick as if I was playing it crazy hard. I later came back with the wire brush over the entire body and worked that area a little as well, though not as much as the rest of the body. Most of what you see there is from the pick.

"You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan." ~M. DeCluette
guitarpreston

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys im new here! great looking guitars. i just got a project guitar to work on and i want to refinish and relic it. is this the place to go? ive gotten trolled on a couple other forums. anyway its a 2010 standard strat with the body already stripped. i need to know how to get the neck that darker tint that old guitars get from years of nicotine and sweat. and any tips on painting the body is appreciated.
thanks
Preston
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarpreston wrote:
hey guys im new here! great looking guitars. i just got a project guitar to work on and i want to refinish and relic it. is this the place to go? ive gotten trolled on a couple other forums. anyway its a 2010 standard strat with the body already stripped. i need to know how to get the neck that darker tint that old guitars get from years of nicotine and sweat. and any tips on painting the body is appreciated.
thanks
Preston

Welcome, Preston! Cool

You should come over to the refinishing forum and introduce yourself Smile

The FAQ section at this board is full of useful tips: http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewforum.php?f=5

There is also ReRanch 101: http://www.reranch.com/101.htm
blackone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: possible relicing technique? Reply with quote

After moving house, I pulled out my as yet unfinished mockingbird to discover various chips and dings, Damned movers. So I started to drop fill, sand, and all that. I started with 400, but had to run out. when I got back I forgot about the lower edge, the part that would sit on your leg. I moved all the way up to 1500 when I realized, so out of curiosity I just hit that part with some 1500 and then polished the whole thing like mad. What I noticed is that on that area, it looks now like the finish has sunk right into the grain, very naturally as if it it happened over time. It looks good, so I thought I'd go the whole hog and do it properly. It's now in the garage cooling down after a hit with the hair dryer.

Anyone hear of this type of effect before?
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: possible relicing technique? Reply with quote

blackone wrote:
... it looks now like the finish has sunk right into the grain, very naturally as if it it happened over time. It looks good...
Anyone hear of this type of effect before?

Most of my basses are either players or closet classics, and a little grain-sink is very desireable for "making age". I usually only wait 10 days after finishing to wet-sand and polish. Fast-forward a couple of months, and the grain-sink is visible.
Strat edgy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in another area of the forum and they said bring it here and also to look up forum member ibanezcollector, because he's reliced some highway 1s so, here I am.

Ok, So I just aquired a highway 1, 3 tone burst body for a very reasonable price. I am an experienced woodworker/ guitar builder, But, never did a "relic". I've aged to match a few things and so on, But, I want to do a heavy "vintage relic" project.

I know the H1 is a nitro paint job and is the same basic platform used for the "road worn" Strats so I thought it would be a good enough starting point for a first timer.
I'm looking to all you experts for advice, I've seen some of the fantastic work here and hope I can do you guys proud.

Whats first? sanding, some stripping, drop a bucket of bolts on it? What?
Kitarist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of nice relics here
cookietruck

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, quick question about finishing a neck.

should have a musikraft neck soon, it's going on an early 80s CIJ jazz body that is a little worn. i want the neck to match.

will spraying the neck with RR clear nitro and then letting sit in the sun yellow it a little bit. i don't want it real amber'd or anything which is why i'm thinking of not using the tinted nitro.

any experience with that?
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookietruck wrote:
hey guys, quick question about finishing a neck.

should have a musikraft neck soon, it's going on an early 80s CIJ jazz body that is a little worn. i want the neck to match.

will spraying the neck with RR clear nitro and then letting sit in the sun yellow it a little bit. i don't want it real amber'd or anything which is why i'm thinking of not using the tinted nitro.

any experience with that?

If you have a few months to wait, it will yellow just fine. I've had a few that yellowed pretty quickly, but they were thicker finishes.

I use a light dusting of neck amber dye followed by a light dusting of butterscotch blonde, all buried in clearcoat.

On this pic, you can see the difference between the fretboard and the headstock. I did this neck with a super light spray of amber dye, and only did the butterscotch on the headstock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: