The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relic Q & A Moved here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegasrock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KivaKid wrote:
Here's the neck I relic'd...

how did you get your maple neck to take the stain so evenly?
JPJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how did you get your maple neck to take the stain so evenly?

And what method did you use to remove the finish? Did you take it all the way down to bare wood?
nimhb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinnerboy61 wrote:
Also, how do you get the dirt to stick?

Well it is a mixture of the stain and dirt. I have found once the stain dries in places I let it, it stays. I have also used clear or natural stain and dirt mixed and it sticks once it is dry too.
nimhb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the back of this neck by sanding the finish off and then I wiped on walnut colored stain. Was scary because it was real dark, but most wipes off. YOu can wipe on and wipe off till you get a color you like and then I sealed with minwax wipe on polysatin.

nimhb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JPJ"]
This is a mixture of RR tinted clear, burst amber, and clear.

nimhb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My headstock is darker, but this neck is the type of finish I would love to know how to do. Anyone with tips on this? It is from the GVCG site.
sinnerboy61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so how about aging white pickup covers?
vegasrock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could probably use minwax golden oak stain and dirt on them like cbaker suggested for the pickguard earlier. Maybe you could also spray a light coat of clear over them and let the sun yellow them.
KivaKid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the parts (covers) in a Kerr jar with mostly filled with water, add like 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. of the Yellow RIT liquid dye, a little dry brown RIT mixed in, and maybe a very small splash of the Kelly Green RIT liquid, then microwave for a minute or so, monitor and soak until you get your color right. The key here is just experimentation, there's no hard science. If you don't like it, soak the covers in some bleach water to whiten back up and start over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS FROM ANOTHER POST. IT IS AGING A BAKELITE P/G AND IT WAS THOUGHT BY THE AUTHOR THAT IT BELONGS HERE. SO HERE IT IS:

stratman wrote:
I did a vintage relic bakelite pickguard. Maybe this should be in the relic section.
Lightly sand the edges so its more rounded. 320 grit dry.
Lightly sand the top, back and edges with 400 wet sandpaper (with water)to dull it a bit and give something for the lacquer to grip to.
On the back put a coffee can lid in the center then spray 1 thin coat of tinted clear lacquer then 2 coats clear lacquer to protect it.
Flip it over after it dries spray the top with 1 thin coat of tinted clear lacquer then 2 coats clear to protect the tinted. Let dry for several days Then wetsand the back and front very lightly with 1000 grit wet sandpaper (with water) you can add scratches, etc to relic it. It will wear with use and look worn in no time.
kholubar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to post my experience with pickup covers. I took some 0000 steel wool and rubbed off the shine from the covers and then i submerged them in a bowl of strong coffee and they came out great. Ill try and post before and after pics later today.
Houndog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbaker, this is a Tru-Oil finished neck on my black Strat. It only takes consistant playing to look like this.
sinnerboy61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Went out today and bought the golden oak stain... but after letting it sit and then wiping it off...it just comes off...I can't get the stain to stick. :-/
nimhb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinnerboy61 wrote:
Chris,

Went out today and bought the golden oak stain... but after letting it sit and then wiping it off...it just comes off...I can't get the stain to stick. :-/

Are you try trying to do spots or the whole thing? Are you letting it dry completely in places you want it? Mixing any dirt in? Work with it a while and you should be able to get it to work.
sinnerboy61

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where it stands as of now...I reapplied it and now I'm letting it sit and dry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 2 of 36

Jump to: