The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck Amber; A Poll....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is ReRanch Neck Amber....
1. Just right?
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
2. Too red?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3. Too yellow?
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 24

Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Neck Amber; A Poll.... Reply with quote

I need some feedback on Neck Amber.
GUITARmole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it's nearly impossible to get the shade just right (either too light or too yellow) and it's a nightmare to use around frets on a maple board (pulls away from the frets or looks like a different color near the fret base). It's also tough to get the color even.

The tinted clear is fantastic though. You can spray a few coats to get the desired shade then clearcoat over it. It goes on even and the color doesn't sneak up on you.
Lefty II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the photos I've seen look a bit yellow (but that could be my monitor). Right now I'm looking at one of the first series SRV necks that I've had bolted onto a lefty body for about ten years & it looks slightly less yellow than the pic on your site. BTW, a few weeks ago I tested some Transfast water-soluble dyes on some scrap maple & thought a weak solution of Transfast Early American Maple came close to my SRV neck.
Lumpy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like I got better results, and simpler to use, by using just amber tinted clear for both neck and butterscotch blonde body.

Lumpy
--
You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.
www.lumpyguitar.net
johnnyhifi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a touch yellow but I gotta say, I've used it on two necks in conjunction with tinted clear, and they look awesome.
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never realized that 1 can can do like 50 necks. I find that it is too yellow IF you try to coat the neck several times to get the "right" color. If you shoot a few good mist coats and then shoot clear, it seems to come out just right. Thats my view of it, I think its fine as is with practice with using it but would be interested to see what kind of adjustments you are planning to make.
vegasrock

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeglow wrote:
I never realized that 1 can can do like 50 necks. I find that it is too yellow IF you try to coat the neck several times to get the "right" color. If you shoot a few good mist coats and then shoot clear, it seems to come out just right. Thats my view of it, I think its fine as is with practice with using it but would be interested to see what kind of adjustments you are planning to make.

I agree with you joe.
KorinaKorina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer using the tinted clear. It's very easy to get what you want.
stratman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the butterscotch for tinting necks. Haven't tried the neck amber but heard its too yellow or just looks like multiple layers of the tinted clear.

My want list is:
A lighter vintage cream.
CAR that comes in one can like the LPB metallic.
Ocean Turqouis metallic
kered5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought 1 can...found it a bit of a nightmare to use...Uneven and unpredictable.

I now use Tinted Clear exclusively...MUCH easier to use and control.
Helloid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it, but I love a good yellow neck. I just wanted to voice the minority opinion. My Jazzmaster RI is gorgeous. Sorry I can't offer an opinion yet.

I agree with Stratman on the CAR in a can. If you ever take a poll for new colors I might have a few ideas.

Of course, I also wouldn't mind it if RR made a line of poly for fixes and touch-ups to newer guitars. I know that sounds like blasphemy, but in some cases it's what we've got to work with. Better for RR to make it than someone like Krylon.
Guitars
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the difficulty.... I've never had a problem with it when sprayed over a couple of coats of clear lacquer. Without the clear the dye finds any end grain and may look blotchy.
serviviente

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neck amber is not difficult to use at all. I used for the first time about 10 days ago and had no problems at all, if anything it was rather easy. Now i do agree with the fact that it is a little TOO yellow. Less yellow and more of an orange/yellow dye its what i am looking for. I have not tried the tinted clear....who knows that if one combine them two maybe it will be just right.
missionguitars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done about 6 necks now with it - perfect every time. I use a quick S&S coat, 2 light amber coats, then clear. I think people get in trouble when they keep applying the amber, thinking it's too light, not reallizing that the clear coat will darken it up a bunch...

BTW, those 6 guitars WILL get posted eventually, for some reason I'm doing them all at the same time rather than one by one. I know it's odd, but hey, that's how I roll... Wink

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
guitarguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its good as is. I have found that the key is to spray it over sanding sealer. And to hold the can at one angle to hit the sides of the frets and then reverse that angle to hit the other side of the frets to avoid the line at the fret sides that others have spoken of.

I've also had good luck spraying it over a pale amber or vintage maple wash coat to tone down the yellow.

Maybe a second neck color is possible? Original and one that might be a tad more amber. Just a thought. But then again ya can't keep trying to please everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: