The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Senior Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
element062

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: My Senior Project Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I'm in 10th grade going into 11th and we were notified that we had to complete a senior project by the spring of junior year to graduate. So, I decided to build a guitar. I already purchased a saga strat kit to come in the mail, but what I was planning on doing is finishing it and replacing the cheap parts with higher quality stuff from guitarfetish.com But, my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone put together a saga kit on here? People who have say its a pain in the a$$ to get the ultra strong poly clear off the wood. How would I go about doing this?

2. What color do you think I should paint it? I was thinking something like daphne blue with a tinted amber neck, maple fingerboard as well, but I also like a bunch of other colors just as much and need help deciding.

3. How do I tint the fingerboard as well as the rest of the neck without getting paint all over the frets?

4. If I wanted to get the colored laquer from reranch and then use clearcoat that isn't from reranch, would that work or would the chemicals react with each other?

EDIT: Would one can of color be enough or should I get two to be safe?

Thanks for any and all help. Very Happy
RyanF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in tenth grade as well, and i dint know if anybody my age was into finishing. I have only built guitars from scratch so i have never had to strip a body. One thing that i have heard is that you can scuff up the top with sandpaper, shoot primer over that, and go on with the normal procedure. Metallics (candy apple red) are also supposedly harder, and somebody else can definately give you some better advice than that coming from me.

And Candy Apple Red is now available from the ReRanch.
mnbaseball91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If you're doing a solid color just leave it on and paint over it.

2. Lake Placid Blue or Fiesta Red! I'm not one for tinted necks though.

3. You can scrape the lacquer off of the frets with a coin or nail head.

4. If they are both nitrocellulos lacquer, you'll be ok 95% of the time. I can tell you for sure that both McFadden's and Stewmac clear are compatable with Reranch. I highly recomend reranch for quality though.

If you use primer, one can of color should be more than enough.
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Senior Project Reply with quote

element062 wrote:
Hey everyone,
I'm in 10th grade going into 11th and we were notified that we had to complete a senior project by the spring of junior year to graduate. So, I decided to build a guitar. I already purchased a saga strat kit to come in the mail, but what I was planning on doing is finishing it and replacing the cheap parts with higher quality stuff from guitarfetish.com But, my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone put together a saga kit on here? People who have say its a pain in the a$$ to get the ultra strong poly clear off the wood. How would I go about doing this?

2. What color do you think I should paint it? I was thinking something like daphne blue with a tinted amber neck, maple fingerboard as well, but I also like a bunch of other colors just as much and need help deciding.

3. How do I tint the fingerboard as well as the rest of the neck without getting paint all over the frets?

4. If I wanted to get the colored laquer from reranch and then use clearcoat that isn't from reranch, would that work or would the chemicals react with each other?

I am currently building a Saga Strat kit. But I would like to ask you a few questions.

First, if you are painting it a solid color, why do you want to strip off the poly? That is a sand/seal coating. It helps to ensure that you're doing your finishing coats smoothly. I just primed and painted the body and just finished the nitro coats this past Wednesday. Now it's just a matter of waiting about 4-6 weeks for the nitro to harden before I start putting it together.

Second, if you're just using the stock neck that came with the kit, leave the rosewood board on. I would think it's difficult at best to find just a maple fretboard. But if you really want an all maple neck then talk to SG Lou. He's an Allparts dealer and can get you a nice discount. I'm not sure if those are sealed or not. But you should be able to use the neck amber on it in either case and get nice results. I used the neck amber on the stock Saga neck and it turned out nice for me. If you want a tint that's close to the '62 Strat then you'll probably need to do about four coats.

Third, as far as the clearcoat, I would strongly recommend you shoot some color coat on a scrap piece of wood, then the clear on top to make sure it's compatible. If there is no bubbling then you should be OK.

Also, I would like to ask you this. Did you do a trial fitting before you did anything with it? I did before I started finishing anything and I'm glad I did. My guitar had the drill holes in the neck drilled crooked, So I had to fill in the holes on the neck and I'll have to redo it. During the trial fitting I also found the neck pocket on the body was too small. With a file and a small plane I was able to fix that.

BTW, feel free to ask us or PM me if you have any other questions. Very Happy
map1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had a 'go' at a Saga kit.
I used the Jasco paint remover from my local hardware.
I applied multiple coats and used a scraper with more multiple coats.
I could not get it all off, but was successful in covering up the inperfections with sealer.
I used Behlen's, as I wanted to make a custom color.
Their vinyl sealer worked great.
It dried fine and the clear coat (with orange) was fine.
Not as hard as Reranch, but it polished well.
Crazy4Guitar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the Saga kits..Just wondered what everyone who has one thinks of them? Also if I get one I would like to finish it with Fender Midnight Wine, so wondering if anyone knows where I can get that particular color?
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are OK. But be aware that it's not likely that you'll be able to slap some paint on it, string it up and play it. You'll have to be careful of things like the neck/body fit, the alignment of the screw holes, etc. With that in mind you can expect to do some extra work because of the craptacular "quality control".

From what I've heard and seen, the tuners that come with the Saga kits are just not good. I'm replacing mine with Kluson-type tuners right off the bat. I may put the old ones on fleabay.

I have heard that the AXL kits have fewer issues, but I don't know.
map1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, thanks hotgoalie.
Assemble everything first and check the alignment of all the holes.
They are not always lined-up. Better to find that out before the paint.
element062

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Senior Project Reply with quote

hotgoalie11565 wrote:
element062 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am currently building a Saga Strat kit. But I would like to ask you a few questions.

First, if you are painting it a solid color, why do you want to strip off the poly? That is a sand/seal coating. It helps to ensure that you're doing your finishing coats smoothly. I just primed and painted the body and just finished the nitro coats this past Wednesday. Now it's just a matter of waiting about 4-6 weeks for the nitro to harden before I start putting it together.

Second, if you're just using the stock neck that came with the kit, leave the rosewood board on. I would think it's difficult at best to find just a maple fretboard. But if you really want an all maple neck then talk to SG Lou. He's an Allparts dealer and can get you a nice discount. I'm not sure if those are sealed or not. But you should be able to use the neck amber on it in either case and get nice results. I used the neck amber on the stock Saga neck and it turned out nice for me. If you want a tint that's close to the '62 Strat then you'll probably need to do about four coats.

Third, as far as the clearcoat, I would strongly recommend you shoot some color coat on a scrap piece of wood, then the clear on top to make sure it's compatible. If there is no bubbling then you should be OK.

Also, I would like to ask you this. Did you do a trial fitting before you did anything with it? I did before I started finishing anything and I'm glad I did. My guitar had the drill holes in the neck drilled crooked, So I had to fill in the holes on the neck and I'll have to redo it. During the trial fitting I also found the neck pocket on the body was too small. With a file and a small plane I was able to fix that.

BTW, feel free to ask us or PM me if you have any other questions. Very Happy

Well, I want to remove the poly finish because from what I have heard(I didn't get the kit yet, I can expect it in a couple days) the poly finish is very thick and cumbersome. I would prefer to get rid of that and start with the bare wood. Also, with the neck I was planning on buying one from mighty mite because 1. I like the cbs style large headstock and 2. I want a maple fretboard which the kit doesn't provide.(I wouldn't trust myself to go through the hassle of installing a maple fretboard on the neck that comes with the kit)

Test fitting the parts sounds like a good idea as well. Do you think that they are of decent quality or should I just replace them with some stuff from gfs? And, would I need to use grain filler if I got rid of the poly coat because its basswood so it should be tight grained but I just want to make sure. Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Structo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that other aftermarket necks might not fit the Saga.
They seem to use weird dimensions.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
mutant_guitar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh... senior project. that sucks. they tell us like the first day our freshman year that we have to do a project. i'm a senior and i still don't have mine done. ours is crazy, 40 hours of work, 5 page research paper, a journal to log all the hours, and a 10-15 minute oral presentation in front of a panel of 3 teachers. unfortunately, we're about the only school in our county to require a senior project. it sucks.

did you already order the saga kit? if not, i suggest you order a carvin kit. much higer quality on those guitars than saga.
element062

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I already ordered it. I looked at carvin but I didn't want to spend the extra money. But, my senior project requiements are almost exactly the same to what you have to do mutant_guitar. I live in allentown, PA so that could be why.
element062

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question guys, (sorry for the double post but I need an anser before I buy the wrong thing)

Should I get a white oil based primer or is there another kind that would work better I ordered sherwood green off the website already.
Jerry68

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reranch Primer would be my recommendation.

Its also related to why pickup makers generally don't take other makers who offer things like II/V P90s seriously... it's basically just marketing BS.
hotgoalie11565

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

element062 wrote:
quick question guys, (sorry for the double post but I need an anser before I buy the wrong thing)

Should I get a white oil based primer or is there another kind that would work better I ordered sherwood green off the website already.

DO NOT use oil-based primer. The paint won't stick to oil-based primer very well. I know some people don't like it but I used the BIN Shellac-Based primer. There weren't any compatibility issues between primer and paint in my case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: