The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Rose by any other name...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutant_guitar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: A Rose by any other name... Reply with quote

I need some opinions please. When the spring rolls around, I will be doing a strat body project. I already have an idea of what i'm going to do, i just need to figure out colors. Whatever color i choose, the design is going to be the same. It'lll be all one color, except with the outline of a rose handpainted behind the bridge. I just don't know what colors to use. I was thinking of painting the guitar red, and doing a white rose. My girlfriend suggested (she's painting the rose) white with a black outline. What do guys think?
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea you have for the colors expept the black rose is a bit morbid for me. Did you consider a white body with a red rose? That would look awesome too.
bluenote
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was gonna recommend the very combination Soulglow did

(sorry, just watched 'coming to america' Laughing )
it lights the way to keep me free

Stuart Adamson
Naked Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red on white came to mind while reading your post with the edges of the petals blackened.

Clarke

Don't tax me, bro!
Joeglow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluenote wrote:
i was gonna recommend the very combination Soulglow did

(sorry, just watched 'coming to america' Laughing )

So let your Sooooulgloooow!
That is a funny theme. Laughing
Lars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna hop on the white body, red rose bandwagon. That splash of red on the white background would be pretty impressive. One could even put a full-stemmed rose complete with thorns and leaves.

For me the red body would so dominate the white rose that it might look like a rose-shaped hole in the guitar from a distance. And as Joeglow (aka Soulglow) said, black roses strike me as pretty gothic, too.

Just my 2 cents.
mutant_guitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the input guys! that sounds like a pretty good idea, red on white. why didn't i think of that earlier? just another idea, how about white and a blue rose, like this rose. http://photobucket.com/albums/0903/Axl_beng/blue_rose.jpg

thanks for the good ideas!
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue rose would look good, too, but there is something kind of primal about red (a very hot, passionate color) juxtaposed against a white (a "virginal" color symbolic of innocence) background that appeals to me.

The blue rose would project a totally different vibe as blue is such a "cool" color.

It all depends on what you'd like the end result to be.

Have you considered doing a mock-up in Photoshop or something?
Tarbender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Rose on a black translucent - very gothic!
eljefe829

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to put my vote in the "neither" category. What about this...a dark-ish natural stain, with an airbrushed red/maroon rose? I'm thinking about the cover of American Beauty by the Dead.
mutant_guitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars wrote:
The blue rose would look good, too, but there is something kind of primal about red (a very hot, passionate color) juxtaposed against a white (a "virginal" color symbolic of innocence) background that appeals to me.

The blue rose would project a totally different vibe as blue is such a "cool" color.

It all depends on what you'd like the end result to be.

Have you considered doing a mock-up in Photoshop or something?

i'd like to mock it up, but the only thing i have is paint. i don't have any nice pciture software.

i'm not sure what i'd like better, the red or the blue rose. you are right about the primal essence of red, but there's something about blue... mysterious, unique (my favorite color among other things). i'll have to talk it out with my girlfriend, because after all, she'll be painting the rose.
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the blue rose could look awesome...and unique. (Blue is also one of my favorite colors. I re-did an acoustic guitar in Lake Placid Blue and love it!)

If I knew what you had in mind for size and placement of the rose, I could do a quick mockup on Photoshop.

Let me know.
KorinaKorina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote : White body - red rose... clean and classic, with understated Fairy Tale implications.....
mutant_guitar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, i was thinking it would go on in the area behind the bridge, and go from about an inch or two from the bottem side to about where the forearm cut begins.
Lars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to picture exactly what you have in mind, but here are a few attempts and maybe you can at least get a feel for color:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: