The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nitrocellulose and an airbrush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: nitrocellulose and an airbrush Reply with quote

Hi guys I have a quick question about nitro pigment and airbrushing. I am about to start using an airbrush on some of my work, I started mixing some amber anise powder into some Behlen nitro and after mixing the color is blue. anyone seen this before? I am also using some Behlen Qualiloc reducer and the color seems to be normal when mixing with the thinner. Is this normal?
rscott@atxrelics.com
Old Black

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't mixed amber anise powder into Behlen nitro with and without the Qualiloc reducer per se, but I have mixed a lot of other stuff (Transtint, powdered dyes, etc.) and I haven't ever gotten any surprises like what you are describing. Blue suggests to me possible copper contamination.
relic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Black wrote:
I haven't mixed amber anise powder into Behlen nitro with and without the Qualiloc reducer per se, but I have mixed a lot of other stuff (Transtint, powdered dyes, etc.) and I haven't ever gotten any surprises like what you are describing. Blue suggests to me possible copper contamination.

Thanks for the info. it is strange, but it does dissolve correctly in the reducer.
rscott@atxrelics.com
Lon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

relic wrote:

Thanks for the info. it is strange, but it does dissolve correctly in the reducer.

I did you try to dissolve the powder in the reducer, then add that mixture to nitro? Just an idea for a test of a compatible colorant
#313. Praisegig
relic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon wrote:
relic wrote:

I did you try to dissolve the powder in the reducer, then add that mixture to nitro? Just an idea for a test of a compatible colorant

It works that way. Mix in the reducer and then add to lacquer. It seems to work fine. I have never seen an issue like that. I emailed Luthiers mercantile he said he had never tried to mix his pigment with Behlen coatings. This might limit me a little on that color because I cant thin the nitro down too much. may have to go with Stew Mac color tone dyes, I use a lot of amber in my aging process. All other colors seem to work fine.
rscott@atxrelics.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: