The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Son #3 applying to Naval Academy - will guitar help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Black

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Son #3 applying to Naval Academy - will guitar help? Reply with quote

My son #3 (as seen in my avatar at age 5 and below from 3 years ago and now a junior in HS) has decided to make a run at the US Naval Academy.

Long road, no guarantees, but worth the try. He has good creds (very high GPA, outrageous ACTs, all advanced courses, stellar math, wrestler and baseball player, works part time, Eagle Scout, actually has a lick of sense and mechanical aptitude etc..). Neither my wife, nor I are military but I cannot tell you how proud I am of his decision to serve.

Don't know how he's gonna weave in Jimmy Page and guitar building into his service academy applications. He has to get letters of recommendation from various folks and I told him to use his guitar teacher and have him tell about the time he broke his left arm skiing and instead of dropping his lessons, had a steel slide taped to the cast on his hand and had the teacher instruct him on lap steel for 6 weeks (absolutely true story!)
Instagator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Cool
32203miracle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the best for him.
WildIowa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it couldn't hurt, although not sure I would put that on top of the resume. I do know these positions are mostly filled by Congresspeople, who get two or three choices each year, both members of the house and senate from your state...so it is a little political, payback for supporters and donors etc. Check with anyone you know who might be connected somehow for a letter of recommendation or a personal phone call etc. in support of The Kid. It's pretty competitive but what the heck...go for it. IA
Old Black

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildIowa wrote:
Well, it couldn't hurt, although not sure I would put that on top of the resume. I do know these positions are mostly filled by Congresspeople, who get two or three choices each year, both members of the house and senate from your state...so it is a little political, payback for supporters and donors etc. Check with anyone you know who might be connected somehow for a letter of recommendation or a personal phone call etc. in support of The Kid. It's pretty competitive but what the heck...go for it. IA

We've actually been into this pretty deep for about a year - we have a coach who's been through the process. This is not the forum to go into detail on that but suffice it to say that it's not as "political" as is generally assumed. Each member of Congress (MOC) nominates 10 people from district (or state) for each opening every year. MOCs can have a total of 5 appointees in each academy at any one time so there is almost always at least 1 and sometimes 2 available each year from each MOC. MOCs typically use a committee to nominate (not who you know but what you bring to the academy). You compete against the 10 nominees from your district and the academy picks the one. Depending on the academy, the general "whole candidate score" is 60% GPA/tests/rank in class; and 40% extracuriculars (leadership, athletics, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: