The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spraying In The Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Spraying In The Cold Reply with quote

So, it looks like Winter has officially set in here in Virginia and I'm stuck. I don't have a garage to work in and I've got half a dozen different projects going at once and they've all come to a grinding halt. I was powering through trying to get them all done, but wasn't counting on the cold quite so early.

I've been spraying my bodies and necks outside and then immediately bringing them in and hanging them in a nice warm seldom used half bathroom to dry. I just leave the exhaust fan on and it's worked really well to keep the fumes from permeating through the house. There's not enough fumes to worry about being explosive or anything, so I have no concerns there.

My question is this... If I keep the bodies and necks warm inside right up until the point where I take them outside to spray, warm the cans and spray in the cold, am I going to be more susceptible to blushing? I haven't attempted this and am just curious if I'm setting myself up for a bad experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kevin
missionguitars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blushing usually occurs in humid environments, and usually cold = dry, unless its' raining.

I'm out west though, and humidity is usually the only battle I have to fight, so hopefully someone that has more than one season can weigh in lol.

"Like" me on Facebook! - www.facebook.com/missionguitars
Instagator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an hour + up the road from you. I paint in the cold every year in a shed..no heat.I don't even bring the body inside.Just keep an eye on humidity.
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sprayed nitro in the winter - I leave the bodies hanging in my unheated garage/work shop and bring the cans of spray inside with me. Never had an issue.

I'm in NJ.

Coldest I've ever sprayed in is probably 15-20F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: