The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sourcing bodies and necks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Sourcing bodies and necks Reply with quote

Have had many years of excellent product and service from my friend Tommy at USACG, but ever since he sold the business, service has suffered considerably and I've received a couple of true lemons which gone to the land-fill. Looking for a suitable alternative and I do NOT like Warmoth's necks. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmoth. Oh, wait. Laughing

Look into Best Guitar Parts. I haven't tried them yet, but it's worth a shot. https://www.bestguitarparts.com/

Also, KnE does good work. Give Marty a shout. http://www.kneguitars.com/

For necks, WD is decent. Kinda hit and miss on what's in stock, but the prices are good if you have a dealer account. http://www.wdmusic.com/

Then there's always Allparts. https://www.allparts.com/

Kenny Vaughan told me he doesn't like Warmoth necks either, but he does like Allparts.

I like Warmoth necks because they're so easy to finish. Must be the sealer they use. Fretwork is always very near perfect, too. But that's just me. Wink

Edit: Check out B Hefner. Bernie isn't fast, but he makes good stuff.
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use Musikraft cuz of all the options I can pick from. Never had a problem with them.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a bunch of Warmoth necks over the years and never had a problem with any of them. They have a great selection of pre-built necks and full customization options. If I had one complaint, it would be the price, but then again, you get what you pay for.

I've also had really good luck with a seller I found on eBay -- Hillmire Guitars-- https://www.ebay.com/usr/hilimireguitars. I've never looked to see if they sell outside of eBay, but both necks I've gotten from them were on par with Warmoth.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I looked at Musikraft and B. Hefner recently and they both look good, as well as Guitar Mill. All appear to be quality, but Musikraft and Guitar Mill get extremely pricey when you go for options like quarter-sawn, flame and roasted. Warmoth's modern necks really nevver pleased me in terms of sustain, tone, feel, etc and I've had to replace more than one after sustained use due to relief issues. I may try one of their Vintage necks as a quick fix for a current guitar that I just started setting up, only to find out that the 12th fret was 5/8" too close to the nut (Tommy is a good friend, but WTF???) WD and Allparts are OK, but not a lot of flexibility. Mark, it's great to hear that you've hooked up with Kenny!
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Warmoth necks for years and never had a bad one.

However, I ONLY use their "Vintage Modern" necks. Those modern ones with the side adjuster are just not right. For the most part I don't like them at all.

Vintage Modern Boatneck, 6100's is my default.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
I've been using Warmoth necks for years and never had a bad one.

However, I ONLY use their "Vintage Modern" necks. Those modern ones with the side adjuster are just not right. For the most part I don't like them at all.

Vintage Modern Boatneck, 6100's is my default.

Funny, I love the side adjust truss rod. Ingenious idea. I do understand that some don't like it, but it's just so convenient.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side adjuster is convenient, but I've always suspected those necks are a little heavier. I've heard it said that they don't sound as good, but I actually think that's kind of ridiculous.

The headstock adjustment on the Vintage/Modern necks is ALMOST as convenient . . .
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
The side adjuster is convenient, but I've always suspected those necks are a little heavier. I've heard it said that they don't sound as good, but I actually think that's kind of ridiculous.

The headstock adjustment on the Vintage/Modern necks is ALMOST as convenient . . .

I'm no expert, but I have both styles of necks from Warmoth and I can't tell a bit of difference in sound between the two.
thesjkexperience

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve had the best results from Musikraft though I agree once you want something besides rock maple it gets too expensive! Most charge $30 for roasted maple where MK charges $100.

It takes far less work to get a MK neck ready to play and the upside of paying for the roasted is you donít have to put a finish on it and nekked maple is so sexy. I also like the back profile choices. Iím a big fan of V necks and MK offers at least 4 V neck choices.

Do a google search on BH and Guitar Mill to see if things have improved.

I agree that if you go Warmoth avoid the Pro version as they are heavy and sound/respond differently than vintage or vintage modern. The bad part is all the exotic wood choices are only on the Pro line. If I buy Custom from them I will talk to someone if I canít get what I want on their site.
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesjkexperience wrote:
It takes far less work to get a MK neck ready to play and the upside of paying for the roasted is you donít have to put a finish on it and nekked maple is so sexy. I also like the back profile choices. Iím a big fan of V necks and MK offers at least 4 V neck choices.

+1 Been using Musikraft & Warmoth for years & only once did I have an issue w/ one neck & MK corrected it w/o delay. MK's options far exceed Warmoth & their frets don't need fussing over. Big thing for me is the heel shape. Wish Warmoth's were more Fender accurate. Cool
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnB wrote:
Wish Warmoth's were more Fender accurate. Cool

I'm not sure what you're referring to by that. Every Warmoth neck I've ever used fit the neck pocket perfectly... Strats and Teles. I'm pretty sure to be "Licensed by Fender", they have to be exactly to spec (or at least relatively close +/1 .01%).
t3l3cast3r

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightKJ wrote:
RnB wrote:

I'm not sure what you're referring to by that. Every Warmoth neck I've ever used fit the neck pocket perfectly... Strats and Teles. I'm pretty sure to be "Licensed by Fender", they have to be exactly to spec (or at least relatively close +/1 .01%).

I'm guessing he's referring to the other end of the neck--you know, the headstock?
RnB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3l3cast3r wrote:
BrightKJ wrote:
RnB wrote:

I'm guessing he's referring to the other end of the neck--you know, the headstock?

Oops... ! Wish Warmoth's heel shape was more Fender accurate
Not Hdstk & the pocket's good (usually), depending on what body it's going on?

Warmoth:

marksound

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnB wrote:
Warmoth:

Never seen a Warmoth neck heel like that. All mine have been like this:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Shape=4&Path=Tele&i=vmt9291#.Wej_YWiPKM8

Last edited by marksound on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: