The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reform neck pocket with TimberMate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toleolu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reform neck pocket with TimberMate Reply with quote

I've got an old partsCaster I built years ago and have to admit, I kinda jacked up the neck pocket and the neck heel back then.

Was thinking about loading up the pocket with timbermate, wrapping the heel in cellophane, clamping them together see if that will give me a better fit.

Just curios if anyone has ever tried that.

Thanks
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have better results with an epoxy based filler, like Quikwood.
Toleolu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that makes more sense.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
twangster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on Quikwood .

If you plan on using the neck to form the shape by pushing it into a layer of Quikwood in the neck pocket , very lightly wet the sides of the neck first to prevent it from bunching the epoxy up as you push it in. I've also used a utility blade to form shapes, just keep it clean of excess epoxy and keep it slightly wet with a damp rag.
Toleolu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on wrapping some cellophane on the heel of the neck before pushing it in the pocket, lightly clamp it, then put on a few strings for alignment and to give it a little pull on the neck.

The idea about the cellophane is for a barrier so the neck doesn't stick to the filler.

This QuickWood doesn't set up very fast does it?
RolandR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickwood is wood bondo.

I've wood bondo a neck pocket of a poorly routed neck pocket of someone's attempt. I bought the guitar body at a music shop selling used and new gear for cheap.

Here's a suggestion, try fiberglass epoxy using your cellophane method. Remember this is a suggestion since I never tried it myself. [my disclosure] Wink
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill the neck pocket with a plug and route to fit. OR, use Quikwood as suggested, then route to fit. Either way, assuming you have a router and correct template. I've made my own templates, easy to do and accurate.
JMHO
#313. Praisegig
Toleolu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with the Quik Wood, really easy to work with, can't wait to see how it looks tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I see Roland is still posting pictures of my wife. Smile
Toleolu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked great, got a good tight fit.

Only problem now is somehow I managed to jack up the neck pickup, broke the wire where it comes out of the bobbins and solders into the leads. Oh well, ordered a set of Texas Specials from Fender, been wanting to give them a try anyway.

Thanks again for suggesting the Quick Wood.

Mahalo
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if there's pickup winder in your location of Hawaii? In my area, there's at least two persons that can rewind pickups or market their own pickups. If there's a pickup rewinder there in your area, they might be able to repair that pickup.

A friend of mine way back attended NAMM and Seymour Duncan had his own booth just starting out. So my friend showed him a pickup that was not working. Duncan looked at it, unwound a few turns, took a resistant reading, then took more wounds off, then took a reading, then solder the end. Hand pickup back to my friend. My friend hand him a $20, he refused at first until my friend insisted "Lunch ($20) on me."

Toleolu wrote:
I see Roland is still posting pictures of my wife. Smile

Uh, your wife gives me "Quick Wood." Laughing Embarassed
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wire that broke is the end of the coil (should be able to tell just by looking at it), then try to carefully unwind a turn or so so you can get it back through the eyelet. It's best to unsolder the lead wire and suck the old solder out of the eyelet first. Then wrap the pickup wire through the eyelet say 5 or 6 times and solder it back together.

If the bit that snapped is the start of the coil then you're out of luck I'm afraid.

You might as well give it a go though anyway rather than it just gathering dust in a drawer Cool
Toleolu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't be happier with the results of reforming the neck pocket with the Qwik Wood. In addition to reforming the pocket, I plugged and redrilled the holes in the neck and body. Got a noticeable improvement in sustain and action, even fixed the problem I was having with the high E string slipping off the nut from time to time.

Couldn't unwind the broken wire but the Texas Special pickups are really great.

Thanks to everyone, my old Bloodrose PartsCaster is playing and sounding better than ever.

Mahalo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: