The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

waaaahhhh - finish flaw, what's the culprit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: waaaahhhh - finish flaw, what's the culprit? Reply with quote

I'm thinking surface contamination but I think water in the air lines.

... I first didn't like the way my 3-color sunburst came out. So instead of stripping the whole finish off, I sand back. Thorough cleanse with naphtha. Then applied three coats of shellac, binder coast. Then I applied the yellow-toner. Then I applied the red-toner.

Everything came out fine up to this point. Then I got anxious and instead of feathering multi-coats of red, drying between coats, I applied one heavy red coat, no pun intended and then ... the above finish flaw.

That's why I don't think its contamination surface but rather water in my hose, possibly? Shocked

Comments? Uh ... yeah, I know, when will I change my avatar. Laughing
You think I could savage the finish from this point? Its my project so if there's minor flaws, I won't lose sleep. Since there's no time table and I'm not using rattle cans its inexpensive for me to experiment.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Shocked Are those raised bubbles in the topmost coat?
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
Whoa! Shocked Are those raised bubbles in the topmost coat?
no ... its when I heavily applied the red-toner. Confused

Maybe I'm optimistic trying to savage this finish at this point, this is on the area "elbow relief drop off" where I will end up applying the black on this three-tone sunburst. So seems like a sand back smooth hopefully not expose bare wood, then apply the opaque black and resume on. Whaddya think?
bildo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your gun is cleaned and dry. Grab a piece of card board and spray the gun at it. Does it start ti collect water?? Do you have a trap on it?

There is nothing wrong with your avatar.
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bildo wrote:
If your gun is cleaned and dry. Grab a piece of card board and spray the gun at it. Does it start ti collect water?? Do you have a trap on it?

There is nothing wrong with your avatar.
Yeah, I do have a water trap but I'm using a 25' hose after the water trap, not those type near the spray gun. Wondering if condensation built up in the hose.

Oh, by the way the blistering is not water drops, just finishing bubbling up something like catching poison oak if you ever caught poison oak.
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try wiping with rubbing alcohol to pull out the water. With bubbles like that, use a pin to open then wipe to pull the water out, let dry, then scuff sand to get the volcanos flattened. Start misting coats to start then heavier coats. Hopefully that will fix your problem with the body

As far as the water in the lines, you might add a water drop and drain to your system and shorten your line closet to the gun. Also add a throw away inline moisture filter onto your gun inlet
#313. Praisegig
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bubbles are air bubbles not water bubbles.

What's peculiar, the temperature was hot 80 deg. and this happened when I applied too heavy of a coat.

Earlier same day, I applied the yellow toner with no problem. First coat of red was fine too. Its the heavy coat when I got too ambitious thinking I could the final red-toner in one shot, not in a few layers, allowing to dry on each layers.
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
The bubbles are air bubbles not water bubbles.

What's peculiar, the temperature was hot 80 deg. and this happened when I applied too heavy of a coat.

Earlier same day, I applied the yellow toner with no problem. First coat of red was fine too. Its the heavy coat when I got too ambitious thinking I could the final red-toner in one shot, not in a few layers, allowing to dry on each layers.

There's your answer. It happened to me once. No way I know of to fix it, except to strip and start over.
RolandR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark I was hoping someone experience similar to this (heavy coat, hot, bubbles).

I threw cautious to wind, I always apply thin coats but like I said I got too impatient and thought I could do the red toner in one shot.

Pictures to come in my attempt to savage the finish from this point.
jaybones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bildo wrote:
...There is nothing wrong with your avatar.

Well, there is.
The bathing suit is still on.
She's not sitting in my lap.
Forum decorum (how's that for a rhyme?) prevents me from going further.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: