The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dirty blonde

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oysters

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Dirty blonde Reply with quote

Hi there. I have a custom shop relic dirty blonde strat that has a real grey colour about it. Even more so on the front to the back I'm thinking they have left a stain on the finish I was thinking of trying to get it back to a more blonde finish. It's obviously a nitro finish and shows a lot of wood grain. Would I have to sand the whole guitar back and start all over again ?

Oysters

Last edited by Oysters on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop! The Custom Shop had something specific in mind when your guitar was made. Older "blonde" Strats are either Olympic White over alder or Mary Kay white over ash. If you are seeing grain, my guess is that you have ash and Mary Kay. It was the clear lacquer that yellowed that created the blonde look over both.

If you want to paint a body, just build a new Strat. I would not redo a Custom Shop guitar. The value will go down. How much did it cost?
Oysters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I bought the guitar second hand and got it at a good price compared to a new one. Fell in love with the neck and very light body Just not sure on the greyish finish.
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other problem with re-painting it is that getting a realistic relic finish is really an art. So if you repaint it, I would recommend you NOT try to get a relic finish. But the problem is that your neck and hardware are relic'd and it won't match a clean body.

Learn to love your finish. It isn't hard if you like the sound and play ability of it.

Can you see the grain clearly? If so, it is probably ash. What color is the hardware? If Gold, then this is a highly desired Mary Kaye Strat.
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these Mary Kaye's:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mary+kaye+strat&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW_8yV8anWAhUH4CYKHU9MAaAQsAQIvAE&biw=1280&bih=860
Southwest Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a so called dirty blonde Strat without gold hardware:

http://images.peachguitars.com/4/1430485726_53.jpg

Does your guitar look anything like this or the Mary Kaye's?
Oysters

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, yes you are probably right. I have looked at a heap of guitars on line over the past few days and the more I look, the more I have apreciated the guitar I have. Thanks for your advice 👍

Regards
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: