The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vintage Cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunderlandmorrow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Vintage Cream Reply with quote

Okay so I'm painting my Jazz bass vintage cream, everything is looking great! I love the color of the Reranch vintage cream. However, after applying many coats of clear it seems as if the color has changed to a lighter "yellow." It's not the end of the world, but will the color come back once I wetsand and buff the clear coat?
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the lighter colors get darker after a year or so.
Most often, not in a good way. Confused
Jib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be best not to use clear.

I started that "Stark white and nitro" thread, as I've been painting a bass for someone, and they don't want it to yellow.

I ended up using pure white pigment in lacquer, and no clearcoat. So far it's doing great. Been out in the garage exposed to sun for weeks now between spraying, and it hasn't yellowed even a tiny bit, because I didn't use a clearcoat.

I'd say try wetsanding and buffing it out if you feel like you can live with it.

If not, and it's really bugging you, I'd just spray more color coats on. If it looks like it used to (it should), I would just leave it. If you want to wetsand and buff with no clearcoat you'll need a lot more colorcoats. That's the phase I'm in now. Just building up enough coats of color that I can wetsand and buff without going through to the primer.

I've accepted the compromise at this point. If you don't want whites (or any variations) to change, skip the clearcoat.
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ good advise. Any of the nitro colors can be sprayed just as you would for the film thickness of clear coats and wet sanded, without color changing over time. OR, use a 2K clear coat system
#313. Praisegig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: