The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mahogany Budget Model and venting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Mahogany Budget Model and venting Reply with quote

This 4-piece mahogany blank from Ebay seller "waboarder" supposedly weighed "about" 8lbs. Nope. 10lbs 12.5oz. If he'd told me it weighed "about" 10lbs, I wouldn't have bought it. His reply:

"Is that what it weighed when it got to you? that does not surprise me! happens alot from climate to climate and being wood"

Right - it gained all that weight in two days in transit from Marysville WA to S.F. CA. I told him I might have done business with him again, but that kind of BS really annoys me. No reply.

Anyway, I decided to see if I could make a guitar out of it at or under my personal weight limit of 6lbs 8ozs. Routed the crap out of it and that's the exact weight finished.

"The hand-rubbed finish highlights the natural beauty of the wood" = no grain filling, some wipe-on poly and done. A lot of people like the look, even if I don't. Anyway, it sounds good, plays well, and used up some parts I had lying around. Thanks for listening.

Vic Vega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished product looks good! But yeah, trying to verify weight of a piece of wood from a picture isn't happening unless it's on a scale. The seller is either clueless or knew exactly what he was doing. Either way, it's not good.
bildo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice glass of lemonade you made out of the lemon.
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, Congrats
#313. Praisegig
jorg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. Confused
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sharp. Is all the hogging out under the pickguard?
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - yup, all hollow underneath. Plus a "control cavity" on the back, 1.5" thick. First time I've used mahogany. It sounds really good, though I put an inexpensive skinny neck on it. I love the Dearmond Goldtone in the neck.
MikeP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of looks like sapele. It's really beautiful with a clear coat, but almost always weighs a ton. Nice build Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: