The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help spraying a toner

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jp-90



Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 124
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: need help spraying a toner Reply with quote

I'm trying a few new things on a cheap (free, actually) guitar kit. It's my first time using transtint dyes, aquacoat and an HVLP rig, so I've got a lot of variables going and I'm wide open to suggestions.

On the maple neck, I sprayed a wash coat (50/50 dewaxed shellac and alcohol). Then, I made a toner by adding transtint to more 50/50 shellac and alcohol and sprayed about 5 passes on the neck. This worked great--I was able to get the fender neck amber look I was going for before clear coating it.

For the basswood body I first applied aquacoat grainfiller. Then I tried spraying a dark toner, this time just transtint in alcohol. This looked horrible, so I sanded back the dye and tried out what worked with the neck. I sprayed a wash coat over the aquacoat, then made a toner with shellac again. This worked much better, but I ended up with a sort of mottled/freckled look. It's almost like orange peel, but without the usual texture.

Any idea what went wrong or how to correct? I tried misting alcohol on the toner coat, hoping it would reflow, but that didn't do anything.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lon



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 6086
Location: Stephenville, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be better served by using the TransTint in nitro,as a toner. It will give a better spray pattern allowing for better flow out/leveling. Shellac dries too quick creating a mottled look with uneven color distribution. There is very fine line in getting a good spray pattern coverage, using a spray gun and shellac. Nitro is more forgiving in that aspect of finishing.
_________________
__________________________________
#313. Praisegig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jp-90



Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 124
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, Lon. Lacquer does seem more forgiving. I went with shellac after reading Jeff Jewitt's Spray Finishing book. I have to say, alcohol seems pretty inoffensive after getting used to lacquer fumes! (don't worry, i wear a respirator).

Anyway, next time I may go back to lacquer, but for now im trying to make shellac work. Like I said, the neck looked great, so hopefully shellac can work on this body. I'm thinking I may have laid it on too thick and/or didn't wait long enough between passes with the toner. Unless someone has a suggestion for saving what I've got, I'll probably wipe back the toner with alcohol and then try reshooting with more patience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lon



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 6086
Location: Stephenville, TX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key for me is to spray a medium wet coat, going from the near side to far side, with the body laying flat
_________________
__________________________________
#313. Praisegig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jp-90



Joined: 07 Sep 2011
Posts: 124
Location: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I sanded back to wood and started over. Applied to coats of aquacoat and lightly sanded (perhaps too lightly! I think i may have swirls in the aquacoat still)

Anyway, i did a 50/50 shellac/alcohol wash coat, then tinted the left over 50/50 mix. I upped the airflow quite a bit and made sure to stir the toner before each coat. I think the increased atomization from the airflow being increased really made the difference. It's not perfect but the results were MUCH better!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group