The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rockman Guitar Ace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksound

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Rockman Guitar Ace Reply with quote

I pretty much ignored all the Rockman gear in the 80s. Wasn't at all interested, and it was too expensive for my taste anyway.

But lately I've been listening to Boston, the way I should have listened way back then. The layers and nuances are pretty amazing, considering that Tom Scholz did the majority of the work on his own, on cobbled together gear in a tiny little basement. I knew he was a genius, I just didn't know he's a FREAKING GENIUS.

So I picked up an open box Guitar Ace for $63 at MF (headphones were missing, but so what). It has 2 push/push switches: Clean/distortion, and semi/heavy. The heavy distortion pretty much nails the compressed, cocked wah-ish Scholz sound.

Through the headphone out into the PA it's kinda weak, but running from the AUX jack to my HRD it comes alive.

Can't wait to run it through a delay and chorus. I can see myself having a blast with this thing. Cool
Action-Cashin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know they still made those. I remember seeing posts somewhere,
on how to convert the old Sony Walkman units into a headphone amp...
Try to find one of those these days! Laughing
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rockman only does one thing, but it does it pretty darn good. I have other headphone amps, but none have been this much fun. Cool
Instagator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Bass Rockman back in the day..Without the AC adapter..Loved it but that thing sure ate some batteries. Smile
Instagator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's time to dump Photobucket..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: