The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any chance to save a sunburst finish?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AScott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Any chance to save a sunburst finish? Reply with quote

Hello! I am new here and have read many threads on sunburst finishes, but I haven't been able to find the answer to my specific question.

I recently bought a Fender Mexican Stratocaster body from a friend that his son took a wire brush to in some sort of effort to relic his brand new guitar. Shocked Anyway, some of the scratches weren't too deep, but some did go down to the wood. This body was destined for the trash bin, so I brought it home to try to turn it into something I can piece together for my son who is just starting out.

I figured the only thing I could do would be to sand out the scratches and paint it a solid color. After sanding and noticing that the majority of the body damage was just in the thick clear finish, I started thinking maybe I could save the burst. I'm attaching a couple of pictures so the more experienced eyes here and tell me I'm nuts or give me a nudge in the right direction.

Is it possible to save this burst or do I need to forget that idea and go in a different direction? Thanks!

(I tried to attach the photos but couldn't get it to work. Sorry I had to link them.)

Front
Back
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By your pic, it looks like only the edge color was in bad shape. You probably could apply the black edge color. I would probably prep sand to 400, apply 3-4 coats of clear to cover the whole body, this will preserve the inner colors if you have to sand back the edge color for some reason. Then apply the edge color to your liking, laying flat spraying in to out using the black as a template. Spray the sides, held vertically and trying not to get overspray on the faces. Once to your liking, apply 9-12 coats of clear and let cure
#313. Praisegig
AScott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that the poly finish on the made in Mexico guitars was more difficult to respray. Is that not the case?
tnt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

AScott wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that the poly finish on the made in Mexico guitars was more difficult to respray. Is that not the case?

I think Lon is suggesting using the poly as basically a base coat and shooting right over top of it - basically adding a new black band over the the existing finish, then clear coating everything again.

But I am wondering how that is going to work out since the bare wood spots are obviously sanded through the poly....IOW, there will be a slight unevenness at those spots....

I don't know....might work. Certainly nothing to lose. Worse case is where you are at now....
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
AScott wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I think Lon is suggesting using the poly as basically a base coat and shooting right over top of it - basically adding a new black band over the the existing finish, then clear coating everything again.

But I am wondering how that is going to work out since the bare wood spots are obviously sanded through the poly....IOW, there will be a slight unevenness at those spots....

I don't know....might work. Certainly nothing to lose. Worse case is where you are at now....

Correct.. But, I can't tell from the front pic, if the color has been sanded off the forearm contour. That would be the only problem I see, but still repairable. The rest is a piece of cake. Yes, you can spray over the poly with nitro, no problems. Been there many times in repairing finishes. OR, you can strip and start over.
#313. Praisegig
AScott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Lon wrote:

Correct.. But, I can't tell from the front pic, if the color has been sanded off the forearm contour. That would be the only problem I see, but still repairable. The rest is a piece of cake. Yes, you can spray over the poly with nitro, no problems. Been there many times in repairing finishes. OR, you can strip and start over.

Thank you for taking the time to help. Yes, I am through the color on the contour and all of the other lighter colored places you can see. I'm not through to the wood, though. There's only a very small section that's to the wood in the belly cut on the back of the body.

I'm not looking for a pro level job here, just something that doesn't look like it belongs in a 1980s punk band (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not he look I'm going for).

I'll give it a go and see what happens, I guess.
AScott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
AScott wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks! I appreciate the assistance.
rickrob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't work out with the burst, You can always strip back to the poly. Scuff that up, re-prime and shoot a solid color.

And I see Photobucket got me... My Avatar is gone.
AScott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrob wrote:
If it doesn't work out with the burst, You can always strip back to the poly. Scuff that up, re-prime and shoot a solid color.

And I see Photobucket got me... My Avatar is gone.

That really makes it a no risk proposition as I was thinking that's what I'd have to do from the start. It wasn't until I realized that most of the scratches didn't go deeper than the poly that I thought maybe I could save the burst.

Off to do a little more research on the process! Thanks for all of the help!
Rano Bass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not as easy as it seems but it can be done. The black is really easy to redo but the amber gone from the body is gonna be hard to match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: