The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Carolina liquor laws - underage performers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: North Carolina liquor laws - underage performers Reply with quote

Odd question ...

Anyone know the North Carolina laws pertaining to minors performing in establishments that serve alcohol? The state I'm currently in allows it up until 9pm, or, if the establishment makes over 50% of revenue from food sales, it is classified as a restaurant, and there's no 9pm cut-off.

My kid has been playing guitar in bars since she was 10 years old. We're considering a move to NC, just wondering if that move will curtail her playing out until she hits 16 or 18. (oddly, in the state where I grew up, you can buy your six year old a beer in a bar, but no performing in one unless 18 or older - figure that one out). What are the rules for attending? In my current locale, kids come out to see my kid's band if the restaurant 50% rule applies, even if the performers are in the "bar" area. If the establishment doesn't meet the 50% rule, minors need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Checked the NC ABC guide, saw that 16 or older can *work* in a bar if not serving alcohol, so that would appear to cover performing at 16 or older. Anyone on here know the NC rules?

Thanks!
WildIowa

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in Iowa and Nebraska, and started when I was like 13 years old. Except for some of my young bandmates stealing a couple of cases of beer out the back door when we loaded out one day never had any problems with the authorities. I also played with three young chiks who had a Supremes kinda deal, 16 years old, and their mother claimed she had to be there as their chaperone...but I know she went so she could act out and dance and drink and act like an idiot because she "had" to be there. It seems universally, that if a kid is working and not in contact with alcohol, selling or waiting tables...should be no problem. And I think the cops probably have bigger things to do than drag a young girl off stage in the middle of a performance...but, you never know!! IA.
t3l3cast3r

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call them and ask them your question. My mom called the TABC when I started playing out. We were right on the Texas/Louisiana border. Louisiana had a funky law that said we had to go outside during our breaks. We technically weren't allowed to be in an establishment "where billiards is played". That's right--if there was a pool table, we weren't supposed to be in there underage. Strange stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: