The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urethane Compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecrushr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Urethane Compatibility Reply with quote

I have been doing only nitro finishes to this point but am going to use some 2k urethane. On the nitro, I have been using McFadden's vinyl sealer to seal and level and really like it. Easy to spray and sand and builds well. Would that work under 2k clear? I realize it depends on the brand and test on scrap and I will but I am more worried about long term rather than immediate wrinkling or adhesion. Does that continue to gas off like nitro so would it bubble off the finish down the road or create other problems?

What else might you use if it won't work? I realize shellac is the obvious answer and I do use that as a quick sealer and for color before tru oil on necks but I also find it hard to get it to build and level like the vinyl sealer and at least for me hard to maintain even color when sanding it so I would prefer something else.

A second compatibility question is can you use transtint or color tone dyes in the 2k clear to get a transparent color? Or would something like the HOK intercoat clear work with transtint before a final 2k clear?

Thanks.
zeek

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k Urethane and nitro are incompatible i would stick to all nitro or to all Urethane.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeek wrote:
2k Urethane and nitro are incompatible i would stick to all nitro or to all Urethane.

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. There are multiple instances cited on this very site of using the two with full compatibility.
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Urethane Compatibility Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been doing only nitro finishes to this point but am going to use some 2k urethane. On the nitro, I have been using McFadden's vinyl sealer to seal and level and really like it. Easy to spray and sand and builds well. Would that work under 2k clear?

Yes.
Quote:
I realize it depends on the brand and test on scrap and I will but I am more worried about long term rather than immediate wrinkling or adhesion. Does that continue to gas off like nitro so would it bubble off the finish down the road or create other problems?

It shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
A second compatibility question is can you use transtint or color tone dyes in the 2k clear to get a transparent color? Or would something like the HOK intercoat clear work with transtint before a final 2k clear?

Mix your tint in lacquer thinner. You'll avoid excess finish build and there are no compatibility issues.
zeek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightKJ wrote:
zeek wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect. There are multiple instances cited on this very site of using the two with full compatibility.

Stepping off the soapbox now...
If it were me, I wouldn't try urethane over nitro just trying to save the guy from some headaches in the future.
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeek wrote:
BrightKJ wrote:
zeek wrote:

If it were me, I wouldn't try urethane over nitro just trying to save the guy from some headaches in the future.

My apologies... it was late last night when I wrote this and I didn't mean to be so blunt. 2K urethane can pretty much go over just about any other finish, although with lacquer, I would make sure it has had plenty of time to flash off first for best results. Your dyes will have to be mixed and applied with another medium however, because Transtint/Transfast dyes are not soluble in urethane.
zeek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense taking on my behalf BrightKJ i'm just saying i wouldn't try it on my project i would try it on a scrap piece of wood first.
we all know it isn't pleasant Sad starting over on a project.
dougk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrightKJ wrote:

My apologies... it was late last night when I wrote this and I didn't mean to be so blunt. 2K urethane can pretty much go over just about any other finish, although with lacquer, I would make sure it has had plenty of time to flash off first for best results. Your dyes will have to be mixed and applied with another medium however, because Transtint/Transfast dyes are not soluble in urethane.[/quote]

You weren't wrong. I had major issues putting urethane / poly over any sort of lacquer or shellac base. The other way around works ok though.

I'd recommend the Isolante and high build sealers from www.tcpglobal.com (you might have to email and ask for product numbers). Their clear is pretty good too.

Did I mention Doug is right?

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Did I mention Doug is right?

marksound wrote:
Doug is not always right.

kauerguitars.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: