The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next LP Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Next LP Project Reply with quote

The last LP, the cherry burst, went to a guy who has a bunch of my guitars and a few of my finishes for other people. Funny how that works out.

Anyway.

After re-reading the Gil Yaron LP thread on "another" forum I wanted to try something. Grainfiller. As in, making my own.

Gil's formula is supposedly what Gibson used back in the day, and is similar to what they use now. Grainfilling on the line at Gibson is about a five minute process. That's what I want. A fast, effective, no-brainer operation.

So. I bought a pound of 4F pumice powder, some boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits, and some dark red mahogany powdered aniline dye.

A little of this, a little of that, a pinch or two of dye, and I had a nice gritty slurry. A test board went as close to perfect as I could have wanted.

Here's the result: Brushed it on, waited a bit, then rubbed it in the pores, removing the excess with cheesecloth.

According to Gil, once it's dry it's ready for sealer. If I want to add toner to darken it later it's no problem.

I'm pumped. This is the easiest grainfill I've ever done, and mahogany is usually a bear. I have an ash project coming up, and I'm going to try the same thing, but without the dye.
Gatorcountry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Sounds like something you need to mass produce and sell Very Happy
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorcountry wrote:
That's awesome! Sounds like something you need to mass produce and sell Very Happy

Are you my first customer? Laughing

Really, it's so simple it's ridiculous. I mixed a little in a plastic cup and it was enough to do my test board, the whole guitar body and neck, and another pass just to finish it up.

Gil adds a little nitro to speed the drying, but I skipped that step. BLO dries on its own, it just takes a little longer. Tomorrrow I'll wipe it down again and shoot some clear to lock it down. Any unfilled pores should show up, but I'm optimistic that it's all good.

Here's the top, at unboxing:

Gatorcountry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

Are you my first customer? Laughing

Definitely! Anything that makes that process faster and easier I'm all about. Although I would much rather grain fill mahogany than swamp ash. Will be interested to see how well it turns out on both kinds of wood.
Graunke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the same kits you were getting before?
marksound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graunke wrote:
Are these the same kits you were getting before?

Yup. This might be the last one of those. I wanted to try things out on an inexpensive platform before offering a LP as an option.

The homebrew grainfiller worked. I might have gone a little heavy on the pumice, but as far as I can tell all the pores are filled.

I shot the burst today. It's hard to capture the colors, but it's looking pretty close to what I had in my head. A darker burst with less red.

Tomorrow I'll clean up the binding and see what I need to do next.

Last edited by marksound on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jazzmeister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil Yaron is one of my personal heroes...a real wealth of information. This looks great! Always glad to hear of a time saving idea!
marksound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost ready to start clear coats.

I decided to go a little more red on the back.

marksound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In clear coats now, first round done and more to come. First a couple of coats to lock everything down, then an amber coat to deepen the effect and knock the white off the binding, then more straight clear.

I'm going for a very specific look on this one, and as we go it will hopefully become apparent. Cool

Johnson82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic. Grainfilling is one of my least favorite parts of finishing. If all goes well, would you mind doing a tutorial on it? I don't know when I'll get to finish another guitar again, but I know this would be handy reading for when that time comes!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
That's fantastic. Grainfilling is one of my least favorite parts of finishing. If all goes well, would you mind doing a tutorial on it? I don't know when I'll get to finish another guitar again, but I know this would be handy reading for when that time comes!

It's really simple.

Start with some BLO in a cup or jar and add pumice until it's a consistency you like. It's usable at this point, but if you want to tint it just add dye powder to the color you want. Test on a scrap board as you go. If it gets too thick, add mineral spirits, easy does it.

If you don't want the dye to color the entire body, shoot a wash coat of lacquer or sanding sealer or shellac.

Then brush on the filler, let it start to dry, then wipe off the excess. Repeat if necessary.

You'll want to test on scrap to get a feel for it, but it's really simple.

Easy peasy.
Lon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

It's really simple.

Start with some BLO in a cup or jar and add pumice until it's a consistency you like. It's usable at this point, but if you want to tint it just add dye powder to the color you want. Test on a scrap board as you go. If it gets too thick, add mineral spirits, easy does it.

If you don't want the dye to color the entire body, shoot a wash coat of lacquer or sanding sealer or shellac.

Then brush on the filler, let it start to dry, then wipe off the excess. Repeat if necessary.

You'll want to test on scrap to get a feel for it, but it's really simple.

Easy peasy.

I used that formula for many years with great success. For another easy filler, I've been using AquaCoat water based gel filler.
#313. Praisegig
Johnson82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds too good to be true! Thanks! Got an ash body kicking around that I may eventually finish...We'll see what happens!
What kind of operation is that? No sawdust...no empty beer bottles...no one is using extremely foul language...no one is spending 2 hours looking for lost tools...no dust on the bodies in the finishing room…
Sconnie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:

I'm going for a very specific look on this one, and as we go it will hopefully become apparent.

I have a guess that I'll keep to myself, only time will tell if I am right! I hope I am cause this thing looks killer so far.
marksound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson82 wrote:
Wow, that sounds too good to be true! Thanks! Got an ash body kicking around that I may eventually finish...We'll see what happens!

I just did an ash body with the same stuff, minus the dye. One pass filled the grain enough to go straight to sealer. I did a quick sand with 320, then trans color and clear. It's really the best filler I've ever used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: