The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tru Oil Over Amber Lacquer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Tru Oil Over Amber Lacquer? Reply with quote

Question for you finishing pros...

I am working on a strat build, I have an MJT body, all of the hardware and electronics are finished, I just need a neck. I'm leaning on going the Warmoth route. I like a good vintage tint, but not "orange-y" as many have described Warmoth's vintage tint finishes.

I have some amber tinted aerosol lacquer from Stewmac that I've used before to get a nice color on a neck (I used aerosol lacquer over it in the past). Can I use amber-tinted lacquer in conjunction with Tru Oil? If so, what process should I use? Spray, than apply Tru Oil (rub-on)? Or, should I do a coat of Tru Oil first? Any input would be appreciated!
Jazzmeister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer over oil, never the other way around. That's it.
C5000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made my own dye mixture using dilluted Colortone stains from stew mac, applied that until I got the color I wanted, then applied tru oil over that. You have to be careful to not let it come out splotchy by going lighter over the end grain, but you can sand it back if you need to.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you rub on the Tru Oil it doesn't dissolve/smear the stain?
Jazzmeister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer over oil, never the other way around. That's it.
C5000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice the tru-oil dissolving or redistributing the stain at all on the 4 necks I've done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: