The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New crossover/impedance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIowa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: New crossover/impedance Reply with quote

I have to replace an old crossover in a Carvin monitor. I can get one at Parts Express at the right crossover point but they are all intended for for 8 ohm speakers. The driver in the Carvin is 16 ohms. What happens with this mismatch? Just wondering. I don't think a replacement is available from Carvin. Thanks. IA
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they aren't already, you could always rewire pairs of them in parallel. In parallel, two 16 ohm speakers look like 8 ohms.

Parallel Resistance = (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)
WildIowa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...a guy at Simply Speakers says using a 16 ohm load on a crossover rated at 8 ohms will cut the crossover point in half...so, my 3k crossover, which I want, would become 1.5k. Which could blow the driver if it can't handle the lower crossover point. I am asking them if I should then get a 5 to 6k crossover and use the 16 ohm load on the 8 ohm crossover...giving me an equivalent of about 3k...does that make sense? I hope so...
BrightKJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still check the wiring of the speakers inside the cabinet. Solder is cheap and you won't be overloading anything.
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to buid passive crossovers. Which driver is 16 ohms? I assumes it's is the hi-frequency driver which is quite common.

Below is a diagram of a two-way crossover.

So you could build your own. Here's a link to calculate the capacitors and inductors to be used:
https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/SpeakerCrossover/

I suggest 2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley.

A second order crossover is commonly used, 12 dB/oct slope, good enough for tweeter protection. Any higher order, you then need precise tolerance components then it gets even more complicate because just because a driver is an 8 ohm load at say 3k Hz it may be a different impedance like anywhere from 6 ohms or 14 ohms. So stay with second order.

Have fun! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: