The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm a little confused on a grain filler issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ram40ut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: I'm a little confused on a grain filler issue. Reply with quote

I'm sure this had been discussed, so my apologies if it has been.

I've read on several boards that builders have used Durhams Rock Hard Water
Putty as a grain filler, as well as Bondo. But I was told no, not to use those.

I'm doing a mahogany neck and an acoustic with rosewood back and sides.

This is one recipe I was given. I'll be using gloss nitro clear coat
Mahogany neck
1. Sand
2. Stain to desired color
3. Spray two light coats of sanding sealer. I use Behlins vinyl sanding sealer.
4. Lightly scuff sand
5. Apply grain/pore filler ( if I can use Durhams, I'll color it with dye, in this
I have the brand Rockler carries. I'm using dark Walnut.
6. After grain filling and sanding to level. Apply two more lights coat of sealer,and scuff again
7. Start clear coat application.

I realize there are many different recipes and procedures, but I guess what I'm really looking for is, can I use Durhams as my filler?

How about using it for the rosewood?

I'm not staining the rosewood. I'm going straight to sealer, and then filler that has been colored. I using the same basic recipe as the mahogany, just not staining it before the filler application.

How about the top? I don't think Spruce doesn't need grain filling, but do I deal it before applying cleat coats?

Thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: