The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue tint came out purple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mh0520

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Blue tint came out purple Reply with quote

I'm trying to do a blue burst on my strat and the blue tint came out more of a purple. At first, I thought it was just changing colors as the lacquer cured but there is a small spot that I patched after the fact that has maintained a nice blue tint. I think the spot repair may have been from a second batch of tint and so I suspect that I did something incorrectly when I mixed the first batch.

Any suggestions for ensuring that the tinted lacquer goes on the intended color? Did I put too much or maybe to little dye in the mixture?

I'm considering stripping it down and restarting but I would like to know what I did wrong before I do so that I can avoid it if possible. I'm using StewMac's blue lacquer dye, if that matters at all.

Thanks!
JJS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have pics?

Very odd, tinted clear is generally a yellow base and purple is a mix of red and blue, so not likely the tinted clear, I'm thinking....
mh0520

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I wouldn't expect to get a purple color from the yellowing of lacquer but that was just my first thought. Even if it was that, it was too fast; it happened almost immediately.

My only other thought was that it could be a result of a very think layer of the black that I'm using to for the outer band covering the blue and making it look purple. If that's the case, then I just need to be more careful when spraying the black.

Has anyone else that has used Stewmac's blue dye ever had it end up more of a purple? If not, I'm thinking it has nothing to do with the die or lacquer and more to do with my spray job, again leaning toward the black overspray tinting the blue to more of a purple.

I don't have any photos right now but I will try to get some and post them later on tonight.
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be the black band. I had black dye and when thinned, it actually looks deep purple no pun intended.

unrelated : I sprayed a blue tint over mahogany, it came out purple. Duh, reddish mahogany, blue tint equals "purple". I should have bleached the mahogany.
JJS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black would likely be the culprit. What were you spraying; dye, black lacquer?
mh0520

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the other thing that I was wondering, if it could be the color of the wood making it look purple, but my thought was that since I'm seeing a true blue on some of the guitar where I've patched it, which was done after I sprayed the black by the way, I don't think it's the wood color. It's a fairly light wood veneer, I'm not sure what exactly but maybe maple or alder. It's a MIM strat if that tells you anything.

In either case, maybe I just need to be more careful while spraying the black if I want to prevent the purplish tone in the blue. Maybe I should use a shield like I've seen some people use to protect the blue part of the burst while I spray the black.

How do others typically prevent overspray from the outer band discoloring the lighter colors in a burst? Is it just a matter of experience and knowing how to set up the spray gun or are there tried and true techniques for this?

Is a small airbrush better for spraying the band than a larger spray gun, for instance? Maybe I'm not spraying at the right angle or not setting up the pattern or air pressure on the gun correctly.

I'm assuming that I should spray the outer band with a fairly small spray pattern, covering a smaller area, and spray at an angle, outward from the center but I think I'm still getting some black on the center. Maybe I just need an even tighter pattern.

I've been pretty happy with the trans blue portion of the finish when I'm done but when I get to the black part I tend to have troubles. I've ended up with a wider band than initially intended which I think is just a result of inexperience but also this purple tint. I've already restarted once before so if I restart again now, I'm giving it one last shot and I'll take what I get. I just want to do everything possible to get it right this time.
mh0520

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJS wrote:
The black would likely be the culprit. What were you spraying; dye, black lacquer?

I was using lacquer with StewMac's black pigment in it.

I used this for the blue dye: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/ColorTone_Liquid_Stains.html

I used this for the black: http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Finishing_Supplies/ColorTone_Liquid_Pigment_for_Lacquer.html

Sounds like I need to do a little more research on doing the outer band and do some tests before I actually spray the body itself to confirm that I get the results that I'm looking for on a test piece of wood.

Thanks for all the help. If you guys have any other suggestions for improving a burst finish, they're greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
mh0520

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another thought about this. If it is in fact the black that turned my blue purple, I should be able to sand that off since I sprayed a couple coats of clear over the blue to seal it a little before I did the black. I'm thinking that if I take some 220 grit paper and sand it down I might be able to get the blue back and only have to redo the clear seal, black coats, and final clear coats. Does that sound reasonable?
ladyfinisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black dye is purple. If I want it to be black, I will add just a touch of amber to kill the purple. It's a very fine line between enough and oh no it's green.

Ladyfinisher
mh0520

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that the overspray from the black appears to be making the blue appear purple. I'm fine with the parts that are supposed to be black and I also assume that as the finish transitions from black to blue there will likely be a transition band that is purple. That's fine; I would just like my blue burst to look blue.

As a side question, you mention black dye being purple and not true black. Is that the same with black pigment? I'm using pigment not dye for the black but I'm not sure if that matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: