The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65 SG Jr Project Thread - All Finished
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86runner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: 65 SG Jr Project Thread - All Finished Reply with quote

Alright, I picked it up from him today. Gave $725 for it, so I'm pretty happy. Got it home and immediately started tinkering. Applied heat to a scraper, stuck it under one of the top edges of the overlay and it popped off. That was easy! Thickness of the headstock sans overlay is a little thinner than what Lou measured. It's just under 14mm. I guess with the finish, it could be close to Lou's measurement? Would it just be mahogany grain filled, then painted black with the gold logo applied? Anybody have a good product for adding to the tips of the headstock to reshape it? Seems like I remember a few years ago someone using some sort of plastic wood, bondo, filler or something stuck to the tips then sanded??? This will be a solid color, so it won't show. I want to try to get it pretty close to perfect, then send it off to Josh at Protocaster to age.

Also, after I conditioned the fretboard, I think I might be able to get away without doing an entire refret. The sanding scratches pretty much disappeared. I also started sanding the contours. I'll get more pics later. I figured I'd start a project thread, because it'll be a work in progress, and I'll have a ton of questions!

Grab yo git-fiddle.

Last edited by 86runner on Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ggwatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I just finished a 68 SG Jr that was butchered to be a cross between a JR, Special and a Standard. In other words dot inlays, no binding, and two humbuckers. Broken neck and mostly bare wood, so I had to refinish it. Love it except the skinny nut:)
The ears were way too rounded so I routed off the old ones and glued on some matching mahogany and reshaped the headstock. After I refinished the guitar I did a little wear on the new ears (and the rest of the guitar) to make it look 48 years old and well played, but not trashed. Good Luck!
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan,

Do you have a drum sander? If so, I would first start with a gentle touch on the open book headstock top. It wouldn't take much to lower that a hair. The bring the sides in a hair. Doesn't have to be 100% pointed, jus a bit better than it is. You could probably draw the lines first to see how much, but I bet it would be very little to get I close.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this
86runner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't even thought about that, Joe. Gonna have to give that some thought for sure. That'd be much easier than adding to it. Thanks!

Should I do a thin mahogany veneer on the face to thicken it up, or is it possible that this was the thickness originally? Wonder if it needs to be beefed up for strength purposes. And the head stocks are just mahogany shot black with the gold decal? No overlay, holly or otherwise?

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Joe Desperado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still,see the serial number on back of headstock? If, so it proabably has not been sanded down any thinner. BTW: Gibson headstock were tappered from about 9/16 at the nut to something like 1/2 at tip. If it's close, you could leave it as is.
86runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Desperado wrote:
Can you still,see the serial number on back of headstock? If, so it proabably has not been sanded down any thinner. BTW: Gibson headstock were tappered from about 9/16 at the nut to something like 1/2 at tip. If it's close, you could leave it as is.

Serial is still there, which leads me to another question. How do I preserve it? I'll most likely be doing RR Arctic White as it's my understanding that it's the exact same thing as Polaris White. Like I said, serial is there and stamped, but will most likely be filled in with paint and clear, right?

Headstock is a uniform 1/2" all the way from nut to tip. Probably just leave it as is so as to leave as much undisturbed as possible if it's not a structural issue (at least any more than a Gibson already has).

Will one can of Arctic White be enough or do I need to get two?

Compiling parts as we speak. As far as the two fret dots that are missing, is there a good source for replacements that would match, i.e. aged, etc?

Pic of the sanded contours below. The angle to top/back will be a bit sharper after I sand those flat really well. Any input on how they look? Would they have originally had no rounding at all? In other words, would the angles have been cut into the body flat, like with a straight angle router bit? If so, I guess I still have some work to do? OR, maybe I want to leave a little of a roundover so it looks its age after it's all finished? What do the experts say?

Thanks!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Kregg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

😎
Now repeat after me, "No tools on towlie" 😜
Glad you got this thing, can't wait to see it finished.
86runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
😎
Now repeat after me, "No tools on towlie" 😜
Glad you got this thing, can't wait to see it finished.

No doubt. My setup SUCKS! Next house will have a shop, fo sho.

Anyone know what color the neck binding on this would've been? I'm assuming it's not the current pinkish cream crap that comes on Gibsons? Hard to tell in pics online. Looks a lot more pure white than the cream stuff.

Grab yo git-fiddle.
rickrob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. Cool

Not totally sure, but I think the neck binding would have been white or ivory.

Check out this 65 SG Jr. --This one looks like it has white binding. It's hard to tell.

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/fs-50s-les-paul-jr-special-65-sg-jr-polaris-white.29052/

and this one which is bound. Looks like Ivory binding.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/price-assessment-of-a-1965-sg-jr.662088/

SG Lou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the angles look great....yes they were sharp from the factory.
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
86runner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full circle! Here we are finished. I should have it in hand tomorrow. I sanded it all out, filled the vibrola holes as well as some of the dings in the guitar and splintering around the pot holes, then grain filled, SS'd and sprayed RR Arctic White lacquer on it. I then sent it North to Josh at Protocaster along with all the parts to finish up and do a light aging on. He's just incredible at what he does! He's the best in my opinion. I'm REALLY excited to get it in hand tomorrow!

Grab yo git-fiddle.
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

👌
Basshappi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
statorvane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome guitar!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: