The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-Bay LP tenon necks ... Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Auctions and Gear for Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: E-Bay LP tenon necks ... Update Reply with quote

I know they have been around for a while, but has anyone have any experience with Bulldog products?

I can't find suppliers for LP tenon necks other than BYO and one on Amazon which they raise their prices from $68.70 free shipping to $189.96 + $29.40 shipping!

Yeah, I know someone is going to chime in and say "What about Precision Kits? They're foul proof." I'm sure they're great which reflex their prices but I'm looking for an affordable one.

I just need LP tenon neck, I'll build the carved top and trust myself to get the alignment and intonation correct. I've done two successfully.

[edit] Amazon ACE-HK neck was from a different distributor but its now back to $68.70 shipping free.

Last edited by RolandR on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
twangster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a risk. There all sorts of LP necks from Chinese sellers.

EBAY
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Twangster!!! Very Happy

I query search "LP necks" on E-Bay and all I got was bulldogguitarbodies LP necks. The queries did not list LP neck that you linked.

Of course I'll take a risk. I bought two a while back. They needed fret leveling, crowning but they were decent. The back profiles were '59 rounded. I think I would like more of a Norlin feel so I'll change the profile.

Once again, THANK YOU! Wink
twangster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RolandR wrote:
I bought two a while back. They needed fret leveling, crowning but they were decent. The back profiles were '59 rounded. I think I would like more of a Norlin feel so I'll change the profile.

Good to know.
RolandR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

With SG Lou's and IbanezCollector's LP builds, coincidentally, today I just received my E-Bay LP neck from seller yinfente-music He may go as the seller "guitar-shopping", "hhyqmusic".

This is a maple LP neck instead of mahogany. I want to go for "Norlin" feel. This is my second LP neck purchase from this seller. First one (mahogany) cost $65, this maple one only cost $29 + $22 for shipping (two weeks).

My critique : the nut dimension is1-5/8". Like the mahogany neck which was supposedly 1-piece, the tenon has a 3/4" piece glued to make up the tenon. This maple LP neck has a scarf joint.

The crown inlay looks like celluloid material like Warmoth. This looks better than my first LP mahogany neck which also needed fret leveling.

Besides wanting a thinner Norlin feel, I went with maple not mahogany neck because the mahogany could be Luan, Philippine mahogany which looks like mahogany but its not in the mahogany family.

I'll report more on the neck profile and the frets. Verdict : I'd buy it again! Smile
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More critique.

Yes, it will need a fret leveling. one fret is really high, and three other places that could use fret leveling.

One inlay is wee high on fingerboard. I don't think it will effect fingering and string choking. But I'll sand it down anyway.

The profile is skinny "Norlin" style just what I what I wanted.

Feel free to asks questions. Wink

greens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from this seller too, but on aliexpress. Like you said, it was ok. I asked for it to be made one piece and he said he could do that for $115 shipped, but it came with a heel joint so I complained and he knocked the price down to $63 total. A good deal all in all. One of the inlays is a bit messed up, but otherwise the neck is pretty ok. Frets need a little work.

RolandR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid to complain, seller will remember me and refuse to sell to me. I only paid $29 for my maple LP neck. Can't complain of the price.

Amazon used to have supplier of a particular LP neck, ACE-HK Les Paul Neck. It looked really good. But now no supplier of this particular neck. [ below ]
dr_funkenstein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think they could do mahagony dot inlay neck? I want to do a LP special build with a long tenon neck. Would want it to be 1 piece mahogany though.
RolandR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_funkenstein wrote:
Do you think they could do mahagony dot inlay neck? I want to do a LP special build with a long tenon neck. Would want it to be 1 piece mahogany though.
The closes to your specs is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-Electric-guitar-neck-solid-wood-Fretboard-Truss-Rod-22-fret-24-75-LP7-/332177391342?hash=item4d5750beee
$39.90 $24 shipping
Truss rod route at the headstock is not tear drop cut. This might be one-piece with the exception of a small 3/4" piece to make up the tenon thickness. I bought two mahogany LP necks from this buyer and they were one-piece neck with the exception of tenon. The maple neck (above) has a scarf joint what's ironic because they resist breaking at the pitch than mahogany.

Like I mentioned above, mine were "'59 round neck profile", the frets needed leveling and crowing. Workmanship of the three LP necks I bought were reasonable.

So if you know how to fret level - crown for $40 + 25 shipping, its a bargain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Auctions and Gear for Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: