The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting cost quote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niccolai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Painting cost quote Reply with quote

Hey, first time poster here. Just getting into Amateur painting.

I've done a few solid colors on bolt on guitar bodies, and I want to have a guitar refinished, but I'm not pleased with my skill level enough to do such a project on my favorate guitar. I was wondering if you guys would help me out with a quote reguarding how much this might cost and what the process would include.

I have an ESP MH400NT that's trans black, with wood binding. I want to sand the trans black finish off of the top and respray it trans white over the quilted maple. Than I guess the binding would haveto be sprayed over with black to match the sidewalls of the guitar.

Here is the guitar in question:

Here is a mockup of how I want it to look:

I have two of these guitars, so I'd like one trans white, and I'd keep one trans black.

I've never seen transparent white over quilt before, think it will work? I've seen trans white over regular wood before and it looks good. Do you think I should Just respray the top trans white? or spray the entire body, neck, and back of the headstock white too, but make the binding black? The face of the headstock will stay black no matter what.

Any info on how much this would cost me and procedure would be MUCH apreciated. thanks.
JoeAArthur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those tatoos before... ah ha... from the Moser board!! Hey, welcome here. I'm just an occasional lurker over there.

My vote is to leave it alone - I like the way it looks! Cool guitar.
Niccolai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that tattoo is my tamoko. Cool
I spend alot of time over at the moser custom shop forum.

It does look sick the way it is now, but I have two of these guitars, so one will stay the way it is no matter what. I don't really want both to be totally identical.
SHAKEnBAKE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei, dude wassup? I'm the same guy from ESP board.

Here are 2 problems that you might encounter:
The LTD finish is hard, seriously hard. And it's a bitch to remove, you probably need a combination of both aircraft finish remover, heat gun, and/or sanding. Plus if you want a natural finish, that means you have to remove the finish completely to the bare wood, which brings me to the 2nd point.

The Maple veneer on the body is not that thick, there is a serious risk of sanding thru it.
Niccolai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man,

yea your right. I've sanded down many guitars in my day, I probably won't have a problem with this one, but sanding through the veneer is a huge concern of mine. I'm worried that it was hand-rubbed with dye before being finished, meaning once I do get the finish off, the veneer will be black and I will haveto bleec and sand it more, withering it away to nothing.

I'd be fine with just putting a new piece of veneer over it, or even holofoil paper with the quilt pattern on it, seeing as it's not like I'm ruining a great quilted maple top
Paul Clark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try doing everything on top of the existing finish, without stripping.

I was going to say leave it alone, it's nice, but I see you have two of them, and so one can remain all-original. I like the idea of solid white body & neck since the other one's black- pretty much a negative image.

I think the key is going to be learning how to do a very transparent dusting of white over the top- The paint gurus can probably advise you here, maybe you can get away with a dusting of white and then going over it in clear, but I don't know if that will actually work right- probably a mixture of white and clear is the right way to do it.

You'll need to do a series of tests to find out just what proportion, cause here's the deal: figuring out how to do a delicate painting operation in your first try is asking for disaster- I've seen many beautiful guitars brought right up to painting stage and then some complicated idea sank the thing(multicolor bursts are especially problematic) - whereas if they'd sprayed a practice run or two or three first they could have figured out how to best do it.

Normally this would be a problem, because you'd first have to paint some dummies in dark to practice on- but in your case you can practice on teh back, different parts of it with different mixtures, until you get the transparency right. Then spray the front and paint the back over in solid white.
guitarguy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen a true white transparent dye. Looks like that after picture was done in Photoshop. You won't be able to achieve a true white transparent finish that looks like the black. Leave it as is.
Niccolai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I photoshopped it.
Transwhite can be done though, granted they are rare.

JoeAArthur

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the body was "whitewashed" and then a clear overlay. It would be pretty difficult to get a white paint to be translucent... but to do a white wash or bleaching of the wood... that might work.
Niccolai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the transwhite can be done, I've even mixed it.

I just need to know what it's going to cost, what will look best, and how much work it involves. (assuming I hire someone else to do it)
Vance23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't a stupid lidea, but...could you dye the grain dark, backsand to preference, then put a 'trans' white on top? Would that pop the grain?

To show you a generation gap, I was reading where you said the finish was 'sick'. I thought to myself 'wow and I thought it looked good.....' Smile

OK, I am with you now...you want something 'ill'

Laughing
Niccolai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh fo shizzle Laughing
Vance23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I feel more like Lee Iococa than Snoop Doggy Dog in the commercial......

Laughing
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just plain sick. Laughing

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Niccolai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any opinions on what it would cost?

Also, are satin finishes typically cheaper or more expensive than poly gloss finishes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: