The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on RC high pass filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Question on RC high pass filter Reply with quote

I'm building a very small practice amp to take with me when I travel-- It has a 10W @8 Ohms Class AB amp circuit, based on a TDA2030.
I have a speaker on the way, and the response is 75Hz to 13Khz. I'm thinking of adding a high pass filter to limit the low frequency
to the speaker and roll off at around 70 Hz-- so I don't bottom out the speaker. That should still allow me to play standard tuning and
drop D at 73Hz. My values for the filter are 220 Ohm and 10 uF

Question is: Should I install the filter on the input or output?

If I install on the output, I think I'll need at least a 10W resistor which is physically large (49mm length).
If I install on the input, I can use a regular resistor-- but I'm concerned that putting the filter there will change the signal from the
guitar besides filtering lower frequencies.

AFAIK, the cap will tend to act more like a short circuit as the frequency increases-- Maybe it won't affect anything then?
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of two reasons to do it before: 1) he components would be smaller and probably less expensive, and 2) if you're going to amplify a signal you'd want it cleaned up first, so you're only amplifying what you want pushed through.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a more elegant way might be to spec an output transformer that rolls off at ~60 Hz or so. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe a touch more expensive, but certainly simpler and better to implement.
rickrob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys-- The cabinet has limited space, so I'll try it on the input and see how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: