The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P-90 pup balancing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: P-90 pup balancing Reply with quote

So my bridge pup is quite a bit lower in volume than the neck pup, though string heights above each are very close to identical.

before I start messing with adjusting pup heights - which is a hassle because the P-90s are mounted to the bottom of the cavity - would inadvertently swapping the wires cause lower volume?

I wouldn't think so, but thought I'd ask.

Any other wiring issue that could cause this?

Everything sounds good, they just aren't balanced.....
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with wiring, this one's pure physics. There's a reason why bridge pickups are either hotter or closer than neck pickups. Imagine how a guitar string moves when it's plucked from the side, like so:

The string moves a greater distance (and therefore creates more current) at the neck pickup position than it does at a bridge. Therefore, if you want the signals to be equal, you have to move the bridge pickup closer to the string (so the movement of a string creates more current) and the neck pickup further away from the string (so it produces less current).
tnt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
Nothing to do with wiring, this one's pure physics. There's a reason why bridge pickups are either hotter or closer than neck pickups. Imagine how a guitar string moves when it's plucked from the side, like so:

The string moves a greater distance (and therefore creates more current) at the neck pickup position than it does at a bridge. Therefore, if you want the signals to be equal, you have to move the bridge pickup closer to the string (so the movement of a string creates more current) and the neck pickup further away from the string (so it produces less current).

Perfect - thanks!
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I experience with my guitars, the bridge pickups always have the weaker volume due to less string vibration sometimes even with a hotter bridge pickup compared to the neck pickup. I just accepted as it is.I don't lose sleep over it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: