The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How crappy are Squier Strat pots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: How crappy are Squier Strat pots? Reply with quote

This is a just a heads up to any newbies out there.I just bought a Strat and Amp off ebay for $270.It sounded great,but as usual had the Strat 60 cycle hum.After shielding the cavity I reassembled the guitar and noticed that the clear protective film was still on the pick guard.I pulled the knobs off to get the film off cleanly and they were stiff.Can you believe it that the tone pot's shaft came off with the knob? lol.Ok no drama,I just had some CTS pots lying around so I replaced the pot,but the whole guitar just hummed loudly,obviously a loose connection somewhere.After changing the jack and checking no wires were loose due to the shielding work,the only option left was a damaged Volume pot.So after another CTS pot swap all is well.
I've built over 30 guitar kits now and even the pots that come with the kits are better quality than the Squier crap.The Strat is a made in China job,so quality wise I wasn't expecting much,but c'mon how much does it cost to put in CTS or Alpa or Burms pots?The rest of the guitar build ,for the price,is magnificent.
I can imagine a newbie wanting to upgrade his knobs would be devastated if a shaft pulled out of the pot as he was trying to change the knobs
Squier by Fender,this is just not good enough,hang your heads in shame.
twangster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese don't give a flying f*ck . Just to prove it, here's a guy making phoney eggs .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T55tz4qwFMo
eljay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working at Fernandes we saw all kinds of cheap, ridiculously half-assed builds coming out of the factories in China and Taiwan. My boss told me that in addition to extreme cost cutting, he said many of the people working the assembly line honestly don't even know what an electric guitar is. They've never seen one before, they're just following blueprints.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, there are different levels of quality in the Squier line. The Classic Vibe series rival some of the higher priced Fenders.

A bottom of the line guitar is going to have the cheapest parts. That's just business.
zeek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
To be fair, there are different levels of quality in the Squier line. The Classic Vibe series rival some of the higher priced Fenders.

A bottom of the line guitar is going to have the cheapest parts. That's just business.

people are always complaining that my prices are too high on my guitars i tell them i use CTS pots or DiMarzio the old saying you pay cheap you get cheap Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: