The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any DIY reconers here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twangster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Any DIY reconers here? Reply with quote

I was given a pair of Yamaha NS10 nearfields with one blown woofer. Because the price of replacement woofers has more than tripled recently ( now anywhere from $250 -$450 ea) I looked for an alternative and found a recone kit for $75 .This is my first recone, the instructions are linked below, any additional tips welcome !

So Far: Toasted woofer ( what was he playing through these things Shocked )

Prepped basket. What a job - there was residual burnt coil material stuck in the coil gap.

and the recone kit . http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/speaker-parts-cp/Inst-3/INST/Installation+Instructions/

WildIowa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my very first recone two weeks ago. I had an old Alnico speaker 12" out of an old Gulbransen organ so I had nothing to lose. Have always wanted to do it and all I can say is it worked out very well...ran a Hot Rod Deville through it last week at high volume and no scrapes scratching or fuzz.

Clean the gap using masking tape wrapped around a shim. And then change tape and clean it again. And then blow it out with air. And then clean it again. And then one last cleaning.

Looks like your cone and voice coil and spider are already assembled. Mine came in separate pieces and I had to assemble and glue everything. This will be easier for you as the depth of your voice coil will already be pre-determined and you don't have to go the extra step of gluing the coil to the spider and then to the cone.

I would say just dry mount everything and test the shims and get familiar with the shims and see how it looks before you actually do it. Make sure you have the correct glue and the latex for around the outside foam edge before you begin. Just make sure you try everything and are comfy because once you get the glue on you are kind of committed.

I have seen that some prefer the multi shim method where you have several thin strips of material to shim the coil rather than a single long wide strip of shim material...I have not done the multi shim method but have seen it on Youtube. Take a look at some of the videos before you begin, also.

Make certain you line up the voice coil leads with the connection posts on the basket also. Again, do a dry run and get real comfy and anticipate everything.

I am going to do some Altecs and EV's now that I have done one successfully. I am no expert but have wanted to do this for years! I guess the Altecs have incredibly small tolerances between the magnet and the coil and are tough to do...others are more tolerant. I was lucky. I was soooo happy when i cranked that thing up and it was tight and good...you will freak out!

Go for it...keep us posted.
twangster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ! Great to know it's doable.

I freaked out when I discovered the gap was blocked in one place with fused coil debris but it came out and after heaps of work the gap is clean.
RolandR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was used for guitar use hemp type paper ala Tone Tubby - lol
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done re-surrounds on the old large JBL soffit-mounted mains type of monitors. I've done a pair of 18s, a pair of 12s, and a pair of 10s. Never done a full recone though, good stuff! If it's anything like the re-surrounding, it just requires someone who's handy and of a careful disposition. It ain't rocket science!
twangster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good, dry fitted with no rubbing so should be good. Just letting all the glue set up over night , next is to remove the shims , glue in the dust cap & solder lead wires.

twangster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the shims , glued the dust cap in & soldered the leads last night.

Fired it up this morning, works perfectly. Just took my time, made absolutely sure the coil gap was clean and followed the instructions.

In their youtube video they use a piece of card with paper towel strips and acetone to clean the gap which worked much better for me that the masking tape method in the printed instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGswEB3O_Q
WildIowa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOO HAHHHH!!! I love it when stuff like this happens...man when you crank that thing up for the first time and it works....GREAT!!!

I was a bit worried when I saw your working photo, have not used the shim "strips" before but in the photos I have seen they seem to overlap the shims and use a lot more, but it looks like you did maintain the gap and all is well. Look at the $$ you saved, plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

A friend of mine who has a pro studio and repair also warns to be careful where you put the basket when it is still "open" the magnet attracts everything metal and if you set it on the floor or say, a garage or workspace, you can get very fine metal fragments or other stuff in the gap that can't be cleaned out. Anyway, great job.
twangster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it felt great . I played a 100hz test tone low at first then increased the volume until it was evident there was no rubbing. Let that sit there playing the tone for a few mins then ran audio.

The shims came with the kit. The supplier says they changed from cylinder shims for small drivers ( 6.5" cone) with narrow coil gaps like this as they tended to grab too much and were very hard to insert especially in the short adhesive set up window.

The blades I was using to scrape adhesive kept jumping from the bench to the magnet, just an annoyance. I cleaned my work area constantly and kept the gap taped at every stage of prep where possible.

Anyways, I hope maybe more folks here will feel confident enough to look at trying recones now Smile
twangster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are folks thoughts on speaker " burn in" ?

The surround and spider on this recone are pretty stiff and on careful listening the driver is bass light compared to a factory woofer.

I'm running a 40 Hz test tone through the box for extended periods of time at varying levels, I've read that can break down the stiffness in the materials and increase excursion.
RandyM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakers are one of the VERY few things that I believe need a break in period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: