The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N(DOA)FRVD (it lives! sorta...)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybones wrote:
How do the springs look?

Visually, they look a-ok. I even tugged 'em just a little to make sure nothing was obviously broken.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tangelolemon wrote:
i once was stumped similarly with the onboard reverb on an old Twin.

Turned out that it was a bad reverb cable. When you tried the new tank, did you use the same cables, or did the tables go with the substitute tank?

Also, never underestimate the havoc that corrosion on a connection can have!

I used the (non-original) cables that were on the unit. I soaked the connectors in DeOxIt and rotated 'em around in the sockets a bunch, even re-flowed the solder joints from the leads to the jacks. No joy.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the tank have a spring lock on it? Wink
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kregg wrote:
Does the tank have a spring lock on it? Wink

The tank itself doesn't, but the unit as a whole does. There are chunks of foam inside the cabinet front, toward which the open side of the pan faces. The whole pan is suspended by springs from each corner which run to long bolts that stick through the front wall of the cabinet. There's a big sliding metal L that you can use to shove and lock the pan against the foam when you're moving the unit. It's off. The last run of diagnostics I did with the pan removed from the unit entirely, anyway.

This one isn't mine, but it's this:

BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of some interest to those who want to restore original reverb pans. I spent a bunch of time looking up reverb pan repair, and in some forum somewhere, I found reference to a company called Sound Enhancement Products, Inc. Turns out, through some complicated corporate history, these guys are direct descendants of the original Hammond reverb division, and they made the US Accutronics tanks until Belton bought Accutronics and moved manufacturing to Korea. SEPI group split off as their own company, and they own Morley and Ebtech. They have a page about reverb repair (which isn't linked from their home page), and I quickly got an email back from Scott Flesher, their director of engineering, who was super helpful and informative, and who said he'll fix my old pan for about double what it'd cost to buy a new Korean one. 'Nuff said, it's on its way to Indiana. If anybody else runs across the same problem, here's the link.

http://www.sepigroup.com/reverb.html
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome!!! very helpful
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody who got emotionally involved in this saga...

Scott Flesher from SEPI send me an email yesterday - might as well quote the whole thing:

Quote:
Hi David,

Your reverb arrived. I plugged it in and just as you said very short decay. The input and output transducer were fine. The transmission springs that run from the input to the output were caked with something possibly old dried up oil or something similar. I carefully clean both springs which took some time as I had to carefully scrape each coil then soaked them for a while and now the sound is back. Sounded great in my Fender deluxe amp. I will ship it back out to you tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Scott

As I responded to him, I know exactly what that was. In the original standalone reverbs, there was a reverb 'muting' system that shoved the reverb pan (ordinarily suspended off the front of the unit by those four springs) up against three glued-in pieces of foam. They were pretty much gone in this one - I guess now we know where they went!

I've been brainstorming a way to keep the same principal of the muting system together in a way where foam doesn't decay and turn into mush on the springs. I was thinking of wrapping chunks of foam in some smooth cloth, and gluing that to the front panel where the originals were. Any other brilliant ideas?
gibsonsmu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluesmanDave wrote:
For anybody who got emotionally involved in this saga...

Scott Flesher from SEPI send me an email yesterday - might as well quote the whole thing:

Quote:
Hi David,

Your reverb arrived. I plugged it in and just as you said very short decay. The input and output transducer were fine. The transmission springs that run from the input to the output were caked with something possibly old dried up oil or something similar. I carefully clean both springs which took some time as I had to carefully scrape each coil then soaked them for a while and now the sound is back. Sounded great in my Fender deluxe amp. I will ship it back out to you tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Scott

As I responded to him, I know exactly what that was. In the original standalone reverbs, there was a reverb 'muting' system that shoved the reverb pan (ordinarily suspended off the front of the unit by those four springs) up against three glued-in pieces of foam. They were pretty much gone in this one - I guess now we know where they went!

I've been brainstorming a way to keep the same principal of the muting system together in a way where foam doesn't decay and turn into mush on the springs. I was thinking of wrapping chunks of foam in some smooth cloth, and gluing that to the front panel where the originals were. Any other brilliant ideas?

Do you have Scott's contact info? I can't seem to get that link to work anymore?
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's their main contact page. If you click on his picture, it launches an email to him directly. Looks like they took the reverb page down, but an inquiry email couldn't hurt.

http://www.sepigroup.com/contactus.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: