The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kemper
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twangster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Kemper Reply with quote

Any KPA users here? I'm thinking of taking the plunge and would love some user feedback.
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend who has one. Absolutely amazing. If I were a tweaker I would definitely have one.
twangster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so much a tweaker , just looking for a way to make less noise when doing guitar overdubs . My studio is directly below our living area and the amps get pretty loud Smile
Travst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I'm curious as to what you think if you get one. I've looked, but can't find one to try locally. So far I haven't heard a modeler that satisfied my desire for real tube tones.
marksound

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twangster wrote:
I'm not so much a tweaker , just looking for a way to make less noise when doing guitar overdubs . My studio is directly below our living area and the amps get pretty loud Smile

Jimmy O raves about his, and had Michael Britt help set up some profiles.

https://www.facebook.com/kemperamps/posts/1183169475032707
TBurst Std

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend gigs a KPA and it sounds great. I gig a Fractal and love it (went Fractal in 2010 from a Plexi, AC-30, and a vintage Fender)
Tele Savalas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travst wrote:
Mark, I'm curious as to what you think if you get one. I've looked, but can't find one to try locally. So far I haven't heard a modeler that satisfied my desire for real tube tones.

I don't understand the technology, but when I listened to this thing plugged into one of my Port City cabs with 2 Austin Speaker Works 12"", I have to say it did not sound like any "modelling" device or amp I ever heard. It is completely alive, dynamic, 3-D, and just astounding. I heard all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle differences between amps like Trainwreck, Bludo, Matchless, Twin Rock, Germano, and a bunch of vintage amps like old AC-30, tweed Fenders, Marshall Beano combo, Plexi. Just for fun we profiled a bunch of settings on my Divided By 13 JRT 9-15 and A/B'ed them. This thing is astounding. I have to admit that my friend worked the interface. For me, the fewer buttons, knobs and choices the better.
Blackstar1099

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it's very, very good at capturing the sound of an amp in a particular setting. But you can't tweak any settings after it's been profiled. That's a major turnoff for me.

On the other hand, has anyone heard the new LIne6 Helix? I've had mine for about 6 weeks now and love it. I've previously had a POD HD500 and thought it sounded great but the Helix is on a whole new level. I don't know how it compares to a real amp as I've never owned any of the amps it models but they sound very good, particularly the clean amps.
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them. It is still a VERY different experience to me from playing a good tube amp. There's just something in the way of interacting with the amp in terms of playing dynamics that isn't quite the same.

They can sound OK though, if used right, especially for scratch parts, etc. they're handy.

Most people are probably more enthusiastic about them than I am.
RolandR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sounds like a niffy product but I would still categorize it as "modeling" 'cause seems like its "sampling", taking a recorded amp sound and giving it parameters to work with (gain, tone controls).
tangelolemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the technology used is not modeling, but convolution, which is a BIG step in a better direction when compared to modelers.
rhardman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark--

Before you break the bank, I would suggest checking out a J Station. Low fi, 16Bit I believe...but if you only only use the Fender models, it's worth it. If you have access to a Demeter tube DI even better. The BF Twin, Tweed Deluxe and 65 Bassman models are excellent. It's what I use before I go thru the hassle of setting up and mic'ing an amp.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug00/articles/jstation.htm
Travst

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tele Savalas wrote:
Travst wrote:

I don't understand the technology, but when I listened to this thing plugged into one of my Port City cabs with 2 Austin Speaker Works 12"", I have to say it did not sound like any "modelling" device or amp I ever heard. It is completely alive, dynamic, 3-D, and just astounding. I heard all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle differences between amps like Trainwreck, Bludo, Matchless, Twin Rock, Germano, and a bunch of vintage amps like old AC-30, tweed Fenders, Marshall Beano combo, Plexi. Just for fun we profiled a bunch of settings on my Divided By 13 JRT 9-15 and A/B'ed them. This thing is astounding. I have to admit that my friend worked the interface. For me, the fewer buttons, knobs and choices the better.

Great review, thanks. I found a mint open box head unit with remote for a $700 discount and decided to take the plunge. I watched a bunch of videos and did a lot of reading up on Kemper, but your recommendation sealed it. I have a stack of amps and would come out thousands ahead if I could sell off only some of them to cover the cost of the Kemper. And the space savings... joy.
Travst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... MF sent me a backorder email and went ahead and charged my card. Unbelievable. They've pulled this on me five or six times in the past and that's the reason I rarely shop with them.
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicians Friend ain't so friendly anymore. Those initials, MF, bring another name to mind.
I use Sweetwater now. Great service! Free candy! My own sales rep even calls me now and then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: