The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squier VM Jag Bass SS wiring - I'm confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balkan72

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Squier VM Jag Bass SS wiring - I'm confused Reply with quote

Hi all -

I'm planning out my first refin project, and I am confused by the wiring on the bass - a Squier VM Jag SS. This bass has a P/J pickup configuration with 2 volume knobs and a tone.

Specifically, I removed the control plate and noticed that there are 5 wires all soldered to the J-pickup volume pot with a single solder joint. -I've never seen this before and I was wondering what's going on.

Photo below, but to explain:

There are three black wires - one coming from the P pickup route, one from the J, and one from the bridge. I assume these are the ground wires. On my jazz bass, each of these is soldered to a different pot, but here they are all connected to the same pot.

Then, in addition, there is a yellow wire from the J pickup and and red wire from the P pickup - both also soldered to the J volume pot.

Finally, there are two more wires coming from the pickups that are soldered to lugs - a white wire from the P pickup soldered to a lug on the P volume pot, and a red red wire from the J pickup soldered to a lug on the J volume pot.

None of my other basses have anything like this.

It should be simple enough to desolder those 5 wires, but I am wondering in particular what technique I need to use to get those 5 wires back under a single joint at the end of the project (assuming that is what I end up doing).

Here's the photo:

Many thanks in advance![/img]
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the wires soldered to the back of the pot are grounds. The pots are all connected to ground by the metal control plate, and I don't think it matters if they're all on one pot, or on separate pots. Seymour Duncan seems to have a new system for finding wiring diagrams, but this one is found in the bass section. Good luck!

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams?meta_params=bass-options,2-pickups,neck-pb,bridge-jb,2-volume,1-tone
balkan72

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

So according to that diagram I see one ground wire coming from the P pickups, one from the J, and one from the bridge. That's also how it is on my J bass - one ground wire from each pickup and one from the bridge.

So do you know the Squier would have 5 ground wires coming from the pickups and bridge to the pot? I would have thought there would be only 3.
Lon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balkan72 wrote:
Thanks!

So according to that diagram I see one ground wire coming from the P pickups, one from the J, and one from the bridge. That's also how it is on my J bass - one ground wire from each pickup and one from the bridge.

So do you know the Squier would have 5 ground wires coming from the pickups and bridge to the pot? I would have thought there would be only 3.

The only thing I can think of is that it has grounding plates under the pickups. Still haven't found a good wiring diagram for you to work with.

http://www.mojotone.com/core/media/media.nl?id=811023&c=923962&h=5674410a4d105f8d8231
#313. Praisegig
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the pickups and see where those wires go. I'm a little bit curious, but as Lon said, my guess is they're some kind of shielding grounds . . .
balkan72

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - will do. I will try to take pics later tonight or tomorrow AM.
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:
Pull the pickups and see where those wires go. I'm a little bit curious, but as Lon said, my guess is they're some kind of shielding grounds . . .

That's the only thing I can figure too. Looked around and found a lot of people with unanswered questions as well.
balkan72

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - here we go. Do these pics help? All I see are the non-black wires going into the pickups, but then again I'm pretty ignorant here!

Lon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really tell what is under the foam/spring setup, but that makes the cavity clean. If I were you, I would unsolder or clip to remove the yellow and red wires with screw from the cavities. They are not doing anything but for looks. Other than that, it looks to be wired like any other PJ setup

I usually route my pickup grounds to their respective volume pot and the bridge wire to the tone pot. Then I solder buss wire between each pot casing, linking all the pots to the jack ground lug. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but your grounds will work.

Reference
http://www.bestbassgear.com/wiring-diagrams/std_p_j_bass.pdf

From what I understand, the pickups in the VM Jags are Duncan Designed which is the SD import version of the standard Seymour Duncan PJ setup.
#313. Praisegig
balkan72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - thanks. That's helpful! Right now, for purposes of prepping the body for refinishing, I was assuming that I would desolder the five wires at the pot, and then also the two additional pickup wires at the lugs. Is that right?

When I heat the joint should be I trying to pull all 5 wires out at once? Or should I try one at a time?
Lon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balkan72 wrote:
OK - thanks. That's helpful! Right now, for purposes of prepping the body for refinishing, I was assuming that I would desolder the five wires at the pot, and then also the two additional pickup wires at the lugs. Is that right?

When I heat the joint should be I trying to pull all 5 wires out at once? Or should I try one at a time?

You could put the soldering iron to the pot and remove all the ground wires as a group. I would then clip each wire from the glob of solder, as you will need to strip and tin each wire upon installation Desolder each pickup hot wire and remove each pickup from body. Unscrew the bridge and remove, then pull it's ground wire out of body. The plate should be free of attached wires and remove. After removing the strap ins and neck, the body should be naked, ready for refinish. Very Happy Very Happy Go for it
#313. Praisegig
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see, there are two colored wires coming from each pickup - looks like red from the P and yellow from the J are grounds. The black wires are screwed to shielding paint in the cavities. Whether that accomplishes anything is debatable.

I usually remove all the grounds as a blob. I have a small tip on my soldering iron, but if I use the side and get it hot enough, I'd probably just solder them back on as a blob. But if you can't reflow all the solder in the process to, certainly do as Lon suggests and solder them individually.
balkan72

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - phase 1 complete. Thanks again everyone!

jaybones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color are you going for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: