The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAD - New Amp Day! Fender Blues Junior NOS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logicwavelength

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: NAD - New Amp Day! Fender Blues Junior NOS! Reply with quote

In my previous post, I stressed over the decision to let go of my HRD. So I took it in to Guitar Center, and they valued it at $325, with a $60 (10%) discount off of the new purchase. I really felt I could get $400 for my amp in the condition it's in, so fine... they took me for $15. I'll survive.

The HRD may have had some hidden demons despite it being in perfect visual condition. It had a dirty Master pot, and I kept getting this wild feedback squeal. Now, I actually haven't played through my Junior with my own guitars or cables yet, so the issue may still exist. However, with Guitar Center's cable and a 2015 American Standard Strat, I had the volume cranked and there was ZERO feedback. It was delicious.

Now... I do have a question for you fine gentlemen. I haven't bought a new amp ever. My HRD was a floor model. However, with this Junior I literally unboxed it myself and plugged it in to test. Is there a burn-in with vacuum tubes? Is there anything else I should do or know about to condition it properly from day 1?

Obligatory photos:
http://i.imgur.com/kGetv9c.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bZhynbT.jpg

Last edited by logicwavelength on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
t3l3cast3r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--those photos represent the actual size of the amp!
logicwavelength

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3l3cast3r wrote:
Wow--those photos represent the actual size of the amp!

I just posted the direct links. Not sure how to resize 'em...

EDIT: I made them clickable hyperlinks instead of embedded images. So... click on them to make 'em REALLY big...
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any particular protocol for starting up a new amp.

Just turn it on and start playing.
RandyM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:

Yep, that always works for me.
Bootsypratt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great amp, does it have the Jensen C12N speaker in it?

http://www.reverbnation.com/rooftopflyers
logicwavelength

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:

Got it. I just was afraid of whether or not the tubes had a break in period.

Bootsypratt wrote:
Great amp, does it have the Jensen C12N speaker in it?

Yes it does. It's exclusive to GC, apparently. They had a Gen III with the regular speaker right next to it and I mimicked the settings and switched from one to the other. The Gen III sounded too... antiseptic. Like, it's probably better for building a highly complex tone. The Jensen was much warmer and creamier. I put the Master to 4 and the Volume to like 6 and was able to get nice smooth tone. Then, I backed the Master to 1.5 and cranked the Volume to 9. It was a little thin sounding, like it lost a bunch of bottom end... but it broke up really nice. I was trying to keep the actual volume low, but I'm sure if I put Master to around 4... I'd be in tone nirvana. I have a stock BOSS BD-2 that I plan on running in front of it to color the sound a tiny bit more and give it a little more sustain.
66rdster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy NAD!!!

I do nothing special either. Just turn it on and play.
I also have the BJr. NOS. Great little amp. I think you'll enjoy it.
eljay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about tubes, but speakers definitely have a break in period. My father-in-law was trying out Deluxe Reverb reissues not too long ago and we A/B'd a fresh out of the box one with one that had been out on the floor for a while. Both amps sounded fantastic, but the floor model definitely sounded looser and maybe a bit louder too. The out-of-the-box one seemed to sound....I dunno....tighter, more brittle, "new".

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eljay-Guitarworks/622637054471300
marksound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blues Jr is a brighter sounding amp than your Deville. Some say that the Jr is boxy sounding, and I definitely hear what they're talking about, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. The speaker will definitely go through a break in period. You'll get used to the sound, and it will mellow the more you play it.

I used to take my Jr to jams, just running a stock Boss SD-1 pedal for solos. Against other, bigger amps, I'd have to crank it up to be heard. I always liked the sound. I think running full out is where that amp likes to play.

Then again, it plays nice with the volume at living room levels. It's the amp I use to demo my guitars, just loud enough to piss off the dog. Laughing

If you start to get crackling through the amp after a while, it's because the PC board mounted tubes vibrate and loosen the solder connections at the sockets. It's a simple fix to reflow the joints. I've done it, and so can you. Wink

The Blues Jr is a vastly underrated amp. Affordable, with a decent Fendery sound. I give it an 85. Cool
brewdude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksound wrote:
If you start to get crackling through the amp after a while, it's because the PC board mounted tubes vibrate and loosen the solder connections at the sockets. It's a simple fix to reflow the joints. I've done it, and so can you.
Hmm the things I learn on here... I've had some random crackling sounds on mine that I originally thought may be a failing cable but maybe I'll check that out some weekend.

OP nice looking amp! I really wanted the tweed version you have when I bought mine, used in so-so shape, but couldn't find a good deal on one locally. I still have thoughts of recovering mine in tweed but who knows if that will ever happen. I replaced a broken reverb unit and swapped in an eminence canibus rex speaker to tone down the brightness of the amp and absolutely love the sound of it now. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!
logicwavelength

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewdude wrote:
OP nice looking amp! I really wanted the tweed version you have when I bought mine, used in so-so shape, but couldn't find a good deal on one locally. I still have thoughts of recovering mine in tweed but who knows if that will ever happen. I replaced a broken reverb unit and swapped in an eminence canibus rex speaker to tone down the brightness of the amp and absolutely love the sound of it now. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours!

Thanks!

I think the Jensen re-issue speaker that comes in my NOS version is already murkier sounding than the standard Junior. Comparing the two side-by-side in the store with my Les Paul (I left this part out in my original post, but I brought my LP in and popped a string while testing the floor models, then used the store's Strat for testing my actual purchased amp) the regular Junior was snappier. I said "antiseptic" before, and what I mean by that is it seems to accurately reproduce sound, whereas the NOS with the Jensen speaker seems to color the sound warmer and mellower.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a BJ with a Jensen, and I like what it does!

I have to plug a really cool replacement speaker if you dig the Jensen voice - WGS's G12C is basically a tweaked version of the Jensen model, and it chimes in ways I really like. I play with a fairly trebly tone, and it is very clear without being piercing, and none of that 'hi-fi' stuff you're talking about. Plus, it costs less than $80 and is made in the USA.

https://wgs4.com/g12c
ajeffcote

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G12C! Right on! It's a great speaker for a Fender sound. Used to be my favorite. But now, Eminence has the GA-SC64 and I think it's one of the best sounding speakers ever for a vintage sound. I just put one in a Mojotone Deluxe clone and it's perfect!
Of course this is an opinion and just like anatomical orifices, everybody has their own. Very Happy
Happy NAD!
dknight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a NOS Blues Jr. for a couple years. Didn't really like the Jensen that came in it but the amp really came alive when I swapped it out for a WGS ET-65. Great speaker! Ended up selling it and adding a little birthday money on a Goodsell 5/17 Limited Edition that I got a smokin' deal on. Really liked the Jr. thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: