The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thumbs up virtuoso polish or NCGD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: thumbs up virtuoso polish or NCGD Reply with quote

N(Clean)GD!

I posted before asking how to clean a grubby nitro finish and most said naptha but I was looking for a polish also, so with some research, I came across http://www.virtuosopolish.com/. I got the cleaner and the polish ... 4 oz. bottles for $10 ea. I think you could probably get 7-10 full guitars (neck and body) cleaned/polished with the stuff as it takes very little to get the job done.

So the story goes, I went to GC this past weekend to get a case for my SG and came home with this, a late '90s ES-135, because I picked it up and simply could not put it down and the price was VERY right. I think the price might have been based on how grubby the finish was; you think folks would clean up their stuff before trading in or that GC would have cleaned it up and made some more money on it? And the GC by me is actually FANTASTIC compared to the 3-4 others I have visited (which seem in line with the online view of GC). Here she is as I got it:

Let me say that whoever had this rode it hard and put it away wet. Structurally it is very sound and it plays awesome but there was a layer of dirt and grime over the entire guitar from years of neglect. I mean, the guitar finish felt dry and crusty.

I got the polish from Virtuoso 3 days after ordering, which was pretty impressive seeing they're in CA and I'm in NJ. Last night I stripped off the hardware (except for the electronics) and got to cleaning. Here are pics of the guitar before cleaning. The top pics of the headstock best show the gunk that was over the entire guitar.

Dirt/fuzzies/whatever was actually caked under the pickguard, tailpiece, and bridge, as well as under the knobs.

Reflection doesn't look too bad in this pic but don't let that fool you ... see the after pics!

There were white scratches in the back and on the heel of the neck ... along with the gunk!

kevin-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up pics following soon ... like this morning ... gotta do some work stuff before I post 'em.
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beaut! Or as we say around here 'Gert Lush!'

Thats nuts that GC didn't clean it. As far as my experience has always gone when selling used instruments, good photographs and a deep clean always helps sell it.

Was the fingerboard all crudded up too? That finger fungus gunk is really nasty
kevin-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again ... so, this virtuoso polish stuff, as per their directions, you put about a dime-size dab for every 6"x6" area you're going to clean/polish and then simply rub it in with a cloth. I used (2) microfiber towels for the cleaner and (2) for the polish ... one for wet and one for dry. It took a bit of elbow grease with the cleaner on the heavier areas, especially the white scratches, but it came up rather nicely!

kevin-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cleaning I attacked the fretboard with a toothbrush dipped in lemon oil to clean up the gunk, put it all back together, and replaced the speed knobs with some reflectors. I don't think the speed knobs were original to this guitar - it came with speed knobs but the ones on it were the wrong spline size (paint cracked on the spline and wouldn't push down more than 1/2 way). I also used a bit of the cleaner (just the wet rag) on the plastics.

Here she is, all together and much happier:

I really dig this guitar but after playing a couple hours I can see what folks are saying about the P-100s ... they're not P-90s, don't sound like P-90s. They're not good humbuckers. They're kinda noisy with gain - not hum, maybe a little microphonic? I'm gonna get a set of Gibson P-90s or maybe even put in some mini-humbuckers as I have a P-90 SG.

kurt72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great.

i cleaned up a buddies 59' Danelectro with Meguiars scratch x remover. the poor guitar was sitting in a dank basement for over 20 years. That Scratch X worked like a charm. amazing that the shine was still under all that gunk.

i'll have to remember the virtuoso finish. that es-135 is SWEET!!!! I've always like those. and yeah, you would think whoever parted with it would've invested some time to clean it up, maybe get a few extra $$$ out of it.
trentonleonard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time, it's great stuff.
BluesmanDave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rescue! Sure does look sweet de-gunked.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, but, but . . . where did all the (insert M-word here) go?
kurt72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Clevername wrote:

shoot, you just gave me an idea for a new polish, "Mojo Remover". Laughing
kevin-san

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurt72 wrote:
Mr. Clevername wrote:

shoot, you just gave me an idea for a new polish, "Mojo Remover". Laughing

Nice!

This polish actually doesn't remove the mojo, the intensive hand-rubbing process actually separates the mojo from the mojo-inductive byproduct (gunk) and infuses it into the finish.

Besides, I already went down to Louisana and got me a mojo hand.
kurt72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only ReRanchers would get the "mojo remover" reference. otherwise, my idea would fail!

im actually going to buy some of this for my buddies 59' Dano Bass/Baritone. it could really use a good, good, cleaning. it's currently in my possesion, since he doesn't really play.
bildo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtuoso has been my secret weapon for awhile now. Wink
Mr. Pumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Guild T100-D could use a good cleaning, and this may just be my motivation to get started on it.

Glad you got a good deal on that 135. I've been looking around for one, but no dice so far...
solderjunkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a mighty shiny 'box you've got there... Wink

I really dig the font they chose for "ES 135" on the headstock. It's quirky and awesome! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Everything Else... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: