The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: Help me decide on color scheme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultrevex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Poll: Help me decide on color scheme Reply with quote

Just got this custom thinline tele put together, what a great guitar.

The top is bookmatched paduak, back and sides alder. The top is getting nothing but clear lacquer. This wood has a gorgeous, almost wine red or burgundy quality when finished. I'm still undecided on the sides/back.
nefarious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Help me decide on color scheme Reply with quote

ultrevex wrote:
The top is bookmatched paduak, back and sides alder. The top is getting nothing but clear lacquer. This wood has a gorgeous, ...

I agree.. the top is gorgeous. I would just leave the alder natural. It makes the paduak really pop with the strong contrast.
wisedawg61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make the neck?
ultrevex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just an Allparts neck..... 10 inch radius, jumbo frets, beefy C shape. The whole guitar weighs just over 6 pounds. Thanks for the input so far.......
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great... Who made the body? I've never seen a Tele with two F-holes... way cool!

IMO, the wood is too beautiful to tint/paint with anything... go with a clear gloss. It will be outstanding.

Good luck!
Lon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would amber tint, color matching the back/sides and the neck. The paduak coloring will only get more intense with the clear coats.

Great looking axe, and you haven't done anything yet for the finish!!!!!!

One tip: Keep this axe when finished out of the sunlight, as the UV rays tends to make the coloring in paduak fade
ranman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is going to be a nice looking guitar. I look forward to seeing the progress and finished product Cool .

I voted for clear coat but Lon makes a good point. I didn't take into account the neck color in contrast to the back/sides. Trying to match the neck and body colors is the way to go (IMHO) whether or not you tint.
The alder will darken somewhat and the grain will stand out more when you put finish on it.

Here are a couple of pics of the alder body I did my surf green with (before the green of couse Wink )

The first is how I got it from Warmoth the second is with grain filler (I know, not really necessary with alder but I wanted to make sure it was filled) and S&S. (It looked sort of nice at that point so I did a mock up to see what it would look like assembled). I'm sure the oil based filler was more the reason for the darkening but it did make it look nice so thats something to consider when you finish the back.

ultrevex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning in the direction of using just a bit of amber/gold wash and then clear coats to get the alder to match the neck shade. I'm always shocked by how brown alder gets when it gets clear coated, think the amber tone is much needed.

The body was made by a custom builder who sells on Ebay under the name 'CST Custom' guitars. He's a good buy and his stuff is dirt cheap (this body was $150). I did have a few issues with the neck pocket requiring some final shaping to accomodate the industry standard fender licensed neck dimensions. We had to straighten one side wall of the cavity and also take a few millimeters of finish off of the back of the neck to get the pitch correct so the bridge saddles could be adjusted within their normal range. These tweaks arent typically needed when you use a warmoth/allparts/usa custom body that's actually cut to Fender's spec.... of course, this body with fancy top would run over $300 from one of those shops. The small additional work was well worth the savings and the seller agreed that the neck pocket had been cut sloppily and offered to fix it or to reimburse me for the labor on my end.... very agreeable and the type customer service I look for. I might buy from him again, this body is very light, beautiful and it sounds great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: