The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finishing an SG paint project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rotem_46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Finishing an SG paint project Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

This is my first post here, hopefully I'll finally get a decent answer Smile
I've just finished painting my SG body with Rust-Oleum X2 Ultra Cover, Glitter and clear coat.
I want to make it glossy and have a hard, glass like, cover so I was thinking about some kind of Lacquer.
I know the Rust-Oleum spray is oil based and I was told I must put an oil based lacquer.
My concern is that the thinner that I have to mix with the lacquer will mess my paint...
Does anyone of you ever put a lacquer over X2 paint?
Should I use Nitro with 21 thinner or polyurethane with 11 thinner?
Any help will be much appreciated !

Thanks guys.
rickrob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked it up and Rust-Oleum X2 Ultra Cover is Acrylic Modified Alkyd enamel. I read here that some people have covered enamel with lacquer, but you have to mist it on in extremely light coats. Otherwise, you will have a mess on your hands.

If you try it, practice on scrap first. Wait 5-7 days before misting on the lacquer on your test piece.

https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/DigitalEncyclopedia/Documents/RustoleumUSA/TDS/English/CBG/Painters%20Touch%20Ultra%20Cover%202X/PT2X-01_Painters_Touch_2X_Ultra_Cover_Enamel_Sprays_TDS.ashx
Rotem_46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer Rickrob.
I swear I read somewhere that the X2 are oil based...Anyway, so what kind of lacquer should I use? Oil based like the Nitro or Polyurethane or automotive ones that I think are enamel based...?
My initial idea was to use Rust-Oleum Lacquer but then I found out we don't have it in my country.
Look, I've painted my motorcycle helmet a couple of years back. Not reading anything about spray painting I've used a mix of sprays (including X2, Krylon and some $2 cans).
When I was done I took it to a friend who paints cars and he just used the car lacquer without any issues.
That might indicate that I can do it again with the guitar but I'm just too afraid as I've worked my ass off here Smile
I have a piece of wood I used to test the sprays with the Glitter and the Clear Cover, I guess I will take it to him and test...

Thanks !
SG Lou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read correctly. Rustolium is oil based. Nitro or Acrylic lacquer will not be able to be sprayed over what you already have. You ONLY choice is continue using a enamel based clear or water based Acrylic clear.
stmoritzguitars@hotmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rotem_46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a test today with that piece of wood I mentioned.
It looks like automotive lacquer doesn't do anything to the painting so tomorrow is the big day, hopefully it will go as planned.
I'm actually building this guitar as a gift to my 8 years old niece and she is waiting for like a month so I really hope for the best result.
I will post some pics after I assemble all the parts.
Thanks guys !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: