The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Project Reply with quote

Merry Christmas, folks. New to the forum, though I've been reading for a while educating myself before trying my hand at a new project. BTW, I got here by looking for paint for the guitar. I wanted a 60s looking Surf Green Strat. Reranch fit the Bill (no pun intended).

Last month I got my hands on a pristine 2009 MIM Std Strat in sunburst for $300 on Craiglist here in Florida. Here is the original animal, nothing special about it.

Last edited by Islander on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Islander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next step was to disassemble the guitar and begin the stripping process. Reading about the best way to strip a MIM body to the wood I went out and got a quart of this stuff:

I brushed it liberally over the body then put it in a garbage bag overnight and... violá!!!

Nothing. Shocked

It was as if I had just merely smeared vaseline on the damn thing. End of the world cockroach tough. So I brought these two guys out (more lessons learned from other ranchers) and carefully spent two hours removing about a pound of the crap you see on the towel. The back was fairly easy, but the front was a bear to get to bubble so I could scrape it off.

I ended up with this. No gouges or scrapes, ready to begin sanding and prepping.

rickrob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-- That finish is tough. Nothing takes it off but a heat gun.
I can't tell for sure but it looks like it might be a Poplar body. Are there greenish areas in the wood?

You're off to a good start-- Have you checked out the Reranch 101?
Islander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No greenish areas that I can see, but I count at least 5 pieces of wood! Surprised I'll find out for sure when I finish the sanding sometime this week. Obviously I was not blessed with one of those rare 2 or 3 piece gems.

I pored over the 101 and based on that I ordered all the nitro products I needed from Bill: sand sealer, primer, Surf Green and clear. I'll be asking sanding questions during the process to make sure I don't eff it up.
86runner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those MIM sunburst bodies typically have veneers front and back so the multi-piece bodies aren't visible through the finish. Should be alder underneath, I think?

Grab yo git-fiddle.
Islander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the case here:

And it was born in the low rent district - 6 pieces (alder, I assume)!!! You can clearly see 5 of them here:

Islander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the body has been sanded down, first with 220 then with 320 in advance of the sealer. Here it be:

The 101 seems mostly for folks with spray guns. which I don't have. I have rattle cans. So, noting that there is a difference between a "pass" and a "coat", I'm planning on giving the body two coats of ReRanch Sand and Sealer, let it dry (20 minutes), sand with 600 grit paper and then repeat. Is that the proper process for this type of body (veneer over alder)?
jaybones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you really didn't need to strip that pound of poly off. Scuff sand, and then go on with the finish.

Since you're going Surf Green (which is fairly light) you'd want to prime with a light color so the dark areas of the burst don't show through (or you have to paint heavier in those areas).

But since you've gotten this far, I don't think there's any difference for the veneer. Biggest problem with working veneer I ran into was while I was using the heat gun and scraper to strip the finish, I had to be careful around the edges. Started to lift the veneer (heat gun was softening the glue underneath) in places which I had to fill and sand before painting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm there. I noticed one very small spot that came apart and will need to be filled. I'm hoping the sealer will do the trick. I will be spraying it today.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Fender Dlx Strats that were stripped and were made from 6 pieces of wood!
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
Islander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjhalsey wrote:
I have seen Fender Dlx Strats that were stripped and were made from 6 pieces of wood!

Dang, that would suck if you were expecting a DLX to be of a marginally higher build quality than your run of the mill MIM Std. I like your avatar. Very Happy Try Imgur for pic hosting unless, of course, you are making the point that photobucket sucks. Do you have any Vintage Pickup sets left in stock? Other than the paint job on my project, that's the only thing I have not gotten my hands on.

I upgraded the tuners to Fender locking ones, upgraded the electronics, the pick guard, the string tree, leveled, re-crowned and polished the frets, got a new Hipshot trem... Thinking about changing the nut as well. Bone or Tusq XL?
Islander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the week spraying 3 coats of Reranch Sanding sealer. Here are the results after sanding with 400 grit:

Islander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I started spraying the Reranch White Primer. Above are the results after three coats. I figure it needs one more coat, but....

...after the third coat dried I noticed this. I absolutely missed that up until now. How do I tackle this? Do I sand the area free of primer and fill, then sand (what grades?) and respray primer? Do I use primer to fill the crease and sand it down? Do I have to start from scratch in order to get it right?
Lon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sand that area until smooth with 320 and reprime until covered. Then level sand the whole body with 400 and you are ready for the color coat
#313. Praisegig
rickrob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it might be one of the seams in between pieces. I'd go with what Lon suggested, then see what it looks like. If it's not deep the primer may fill that in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Guitar Finishing and Restoration All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: