The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken volume pedal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Broken volume pedal Reply with quote

Volume pedal just broke now too. It's producing a very reduced amount of output, sometimes none at all. I have no idea what could be wrong, it appears to be operating mechanically same as it ever did, just did it while i was playing. do these things just "go out" after awhile, or is it fixable? I use this thing quite a bit, so it's something I need to get sorted out soon. Any thoughts?
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the ernie ball site (VP Jr. volume pedal w/250K pot) and they have repair parts, could it need a potentiometer replacement?
twangster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either the pot or the string. Can you see if the string is functioning properly ? If it's slipping it won't be turning the pot.
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twangster wrote:
It's either the pot or the string. Can you see if the string is functioning properly ? If it's slipping it won't be turning the pot.

thanks twangster - the string appears to be working, I'll take a closer look tho, i didn't think that it might not be turning the pot.
Jai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai wrote:
twangster wrote:

thanks twangster - the string appears to be working, I'll take a closer look tho, i didn't think that it might not be turning the pot.

the string is turning the pot just fine. must have just gone out! had it a long time, used it A LOT, so I guess it was just its time. a new pot isn't that much, i'll attempt to fix it. Smile
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look it over carefully first to see if possibly a wire came loose or some other easy fix before ordering parts. Wink

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Jai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it. It was the pot. Got the new one and switched it out. Just a little bit of doing putting the string/spring set back on. There was a youtube video of an ernie ball guy doing it, but of course they had a pedal with the sides of the case removed, so not as easy as they made it look. but i got it. simply soldering just 3 points. and it worked right away when i was done! i felt pretty proud. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: