The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crazy Tele wiring help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dksouthpaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Crazy Tele wiring help Reply with quote

So i pulled the trigger and i'm getting a set of Seymour Duncan P-rails to go in a tele, the tricky part is i want specific controls and hopefully make it all fit under the control plate if at all possible, I'm no good at coming up with schematics just following them Smile
here's the idea:

3 Knobs (mini pots so it'll fit in the same space as the 2 knobs)
1 Volume
1 treble
1 bass (fell in love with this control setup on my G&L legacy)

Switching:
1 switch for bridge-both-neck
1 switch for bridge pup blade-p90-humbucker
1 switch for neck pup blade-p90-humbucker

halp!
Micter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see that fitting.
dksouthpaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micter wrote:
I don't see that fitting.

...yeah i know

i was hoping someones done something similarly crazy with mini pots and maybe some of these guys

http://www.allparts.com/Chrome-On-On-On-Mini-Switch-p/ep-0080-010.htm
marksound

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a T with 3 pots and a regular 3 way switch. It's a bit of a squeeze to fit it all in, even with mini pots. I don't think you can get 3 pots and 3 switches in a standard T cavity. Not saying it can't be done ,but it won't be easy.

Something you could try, though, is using push/pull pots. It'll be really tight, but you might pull it off. Good luck with figuring out the wiring. Laughing

BTW, I bought a Tele Plus plate and opened up the center hole with a step drill. Easy.

Heavy Air

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using stacked pots? You could have the treble/bass one stacked and one single for the volume.

I dont see a good way to fit the mini toggles on the plate though.

I had a customer once that wanted a kill switch fitted, he didn't want it on the control plate so I routed a small channel under the scratchplate and fitted the switch by the top horn on the scratchplate.

Jaguar style switches in the same position would look and work pretty good in my head too
dksouthpaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fliski guitars wrote:
How about using stacked pots? You could have the treble/bass one stacked and one single for the volume.

I dont see a good way to fit the mini toggles on the plate though.

I had a customer once that wanted a kill switch fitted, he didn't want it on the control plate so I routed a small channel under the scratchplate and fitted the switch by the top horn on the scratchplate.

Jaguar style switches in the same position would look and work pretty good in my head too

yeah i had thought about the jaguar style in the horn too. Also do they sell stacked pots for lefties?
Home Grown Tele

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider a set of these to relieve the pot/switch nightmare.................................

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR62n5g4uk4&feature=player_embedded

If you really HAVE to have 3 pots consider what Marksound said above with the Triple Shots. It should give you everything you want.
dksouthpaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Grown Tele wrote:
You might want to consider a set of these to relieve the pot/switch nightmare.................................

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/triple-shot/triple_shot_swi/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR62n5g4uk4&feature=player_embedded

If you really HAVE to have 3 pots consider what Marksound said above with the Triple Shots. It should give you everything you want.

I've been interested in those, they provide actually more options than i was originally thinking, they have series and parallel buckers.

I'm still wary just because there's no videos of people switching mid song, or between songs in any kind of live setting.

3 Knobs is a must though! I can't go without controlling bass and treble, if there's a lefty concentric pot though i'd totally be down with that as well.

thanks for all the insight guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: