The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smashing Pumpkins style fuzz
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghobii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's interested, someone posted a superfuzz on my local CL today - only $850 Shocked
sonicblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The superfuzz is a biting octave-up fuzz -- nothing at all like the Big Muff tone the OP was asking about.
ghobii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mentioned it cause aquietcabin said he had one. That, and the novelty of a $850 fuzz. Though they do sound pretty cool.
aquietcabin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow $850, operative word being "had" one. i bought that for $20 bucks back in the mid 90's. no idea what happened to it. don't remeber it being biting at all, just walls of sonic doom..but again that was a while ago and at the time it approximated the siamese dream fuzz sound ( for me at least )

Guitars wrote:
Amen Brother.... Life is too short to sand more than one needs to. .
mattpas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoss469 wrote:
Sounds great Matt! I preferred the EHX in a few spots and you SUF in a few spots. Oddly enough, I didn't prefer the ICBM on any clip. You aren't making the temptation any easier!!

Kit Rare did a great job with the clips. He's done a bunch of my pedals and compared them to originals. I was happy with his Civil War review.

I don't know if any of you have seen this but here is Billy Corgan talking about his Big Muff.

http://glittercop.blogspot.com/2009/10/billy-talks-about-effect-pedals-used-on.html
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to my SD and MC era Pumpkins bootlegs and the thing I notice is when playing live, the guitars don't have that same HUGE sound like on the albums. So what I'm thinking is, if Billy can't pull off that sound live, how the hell am I going to? I think you could get close with various fuzz pedals, but I wouldn't waste much time trying to get the exact sound as on the album.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery!
smoss469

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pattycakes77 wrote:
I've been listening to my SD and MC era Pumpkins bootlegs and the thing I notice is when playing live, the guitars don't have that same HUGE sound like on the albums. So what I'm thinking is, if Billy can't pull off that sound live, how the hell am I going to? I think you could get close with various fuzz pedals, but I wouldn't waste much time trying to get the exact sound as on the album.

I know it won't be exact but something similar is all I'm after.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
I always find it funny that musicians will use some obscure piece of crap they found somewhere... get a usuable tone out of it, record a tune and then everyone is chasing that tone.... Laughing

and some folks get all the exact pieces of gear as the ones used in the recording they're trying to emulate and they get frustrated that it doesn't sound like the recording when they rock out in their living rooms-- forgetting/not realizing that the guitar sound has been influenced by having been miked (could be anything from a 57 to a 409 + a Royer + a Neumann U87 or U47Fet), gone through a preamp, some eq and at least one stage of compression and/or limiting (wide range of topologies and "color"), into a recorder (digital or maybe to tape, adding saturation), the parts may be double, triple or quadruple tracked (or as with Siamese Dream, may have dozens of overdubs), then they get mixed and effects get added in to the individual tracks, busses and the output buss, which get mixed down (again maybe digitally, or maybe through an analog summing unit, or to tape-- the latter two of which will add some color), and then mastered.
Structo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the studio magic can change the sound dramatically.
The old Jimmy Page, telecaster, small Supro amp is a good example.

Instead of trying to match the same exact gear, it is often times better to just try and match the sound without too much regard with what you heard he used in the studio or what he uses on stage.
Listen to the CD and just try to emulate that tone or effect.

Mic'ing smaller amps has been a neat trick for some time now.

Don't forget technique as well as what kind of guitar he used.

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
smoss469

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well aware of studio tricks, editing, mic useage etc.

I'm also well aware that no pedal is going to give you that sound. However I said that was the type I was after, not an exact copy.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoss469 wrote:
I'm well aware of studio tricks, editing, mic useage etc.

I'm also well aware that no pedal is going to give you that sound. However I said that was the type I was after, not an exact copy.

i didn't mean that directed to you, but you see that kind of stuff all the time-- not just for guitars/amps, but for vocal mics, etc. the smashing pumpkins-- especially in the early days, were well known for laying on the guitar overdubs
moogstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive fan of the big muff, i have the sovtek one (Black) which does a good SD era sounds. I think silversun pickups are using the same big muff as well and man they sound just like the pumpkins at times.

I built a Roland Bee Baa clone a while back which is a monster fuzz and can also pull very similar sounds to a muff as well as a ton of others. it is like a muff on steroids.

When the pumpkins toured here (Sydney Australia) they hit up many of the guitar stores for older big muffs and older EH pedals in general, think word got out, and prices may have been jacked up for that week. In one of the guitar stores whenever you mentioned EH for the next few years would describe in great detail how "the SP guitar guy came into the shop while the chick and the bald singer guy stood out the front and had a massive fight on the street".
smoss469

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogstar wrote:

the chick and the bald singer guy stood out the front and had a massive fight on the street".

That's pretty damn funny.
Kregg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go: http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: