The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smashing Pumpkins style fuzz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoss469

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Smashing Pumpkins style fuzz Reply with quote

I've read that the Fuzz used on Siamese Dream was a 70's Op-amp BMP.

GGG has a kit that lets you make about 5-6 different "era's" of the Big Muff but I don't believe the op amp version is possible with their layouts.

Anyone know of a good fuzz, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that does a nice job of recreating that style of fuzz tones?

For reference: Quiet
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chased that sound now for 17 years without success. Although I never had much money to blow on various pedals to experiment with. Have you looked into any of the Devi Ever pedals? Check out the "Rocket" pedal, lots of good videos on youtube showcasing the sounds you can get. It's not cheap though, almost $200 on Musician's Friend! I've also read that the HUGE sound on that album has to do with the massive amounts of overdubs (I read there were over 70+ guitars going at once on Soma in some places).

Let me know if you find that sound, not that I'd be able to replicate it but I'd love to know your recipe.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery!
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it funny that musicians will use some obscure piece of crap they found somewhere... get a usuable tone out of it, record a tune and then everyone is chasing that tone.... Laughing
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
I always find it funny that musicians will use some obscure piece of crap they found somewhere... get a usuable tone out of it, record a tune and then everyone is chasing that tone.... Laughing

Yep, there are many stories about Billy and James picking up guitars and effects at pawn shops on the cheap and making musical magic with that stuff. Billy mentions the "Mu-Tron Bi-phase" in their Viewphoria video, and that was the first thing I looked up on-line when I got internet back in '98. If you can find one on Ebay, they are going for Booku money, I'm sure that's from people like me chasing the sound and thinking I can get it with the right piece of equipment. Well, I quit chasing awhile ago because I know that no matter what I'll never get it, I think it has more to do with the brains and hands behind the equipment and I just don't have the know how or talent to recreate it.

On a side note, I read a Q&A with Butch Vig about the recording of Siamese Dream and there was a lot of cool stories and good info about how they made "that sound". It was on www.gearslutz.com but when I googled it, every link to it shows "page not found", too bad cuz it was really a good read. Here is some of it: http://thepumpkins.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=177&func=view&catid=1&id=63349

sonicblue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're handy with electronics, all the schematics are right here:

http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm

I'm partial to the Ram's Head but I bet you would like the Black or Green Russian for early SP tones.

Any recent NYC, Little Big Muff, or BMP with Tone Wicker will get you in the ballpark. But IMO the newer ones I had never sounded as good as the ones I've built from those original schematics.
pattycakes77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic - Thanks for the link, now you've added yet another project for me! Smile I used to have one of the older green russian Big Muffs and for the life of me I don't know where it went! Looked on Ebay and those go for crazy money, it's nice to know I could build my own, and to the exact spec of the one I loved.

Smoss - after researching those Divi Ever pedals, now I need to figure out where to get an extra $200 for that Rocket pedal, man that thing sounds sweet!

aquietcabin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had good luck with a univox SuperFuzz, the big orange & blue one. they go for insane money these days. i don't even remember what happened to it but i wish i still had it for sure

Guitars wrote:
Amen Brother.... Life is too short to sand more than one needs to. .
Mgeek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:

Yep!

When my opus comes out all the kids are gonna be chasing crappy little behringer mixers and a bunch of patch leads for their fuzz sounds* Wink

*fuzz/end of the world
smoss469

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomp Under Foot has a clone they make, supposedly does an excellent job of recreating it. Plus it's over 25% cheaper than the Devi Ever. Might have to check into that one.
kevin-san

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a BYOC "Large Beaver" fuzz ... Ram's Head Version. It's very cool in that it has 3 different tone modes and has a mode bypass for all-out fuzz. It nails the Gilmour Live at Pompeii fuzz and folks are saying it does a passable Smashing Pumpkins.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/beaver.html

$90 and about 2-3 hours of soldering (this was my first pedal build)

Unfortunately, I built it, tried it, and JUST disassembled the case this weekend to paint it ... should be ready in about a week. I'll post up clips then!
power chord hack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on BYOC

I've done 3 & they're way cool. In fact I had 2 real Muffs but ditched them both for a Beaver.
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheheheee... you said Beaver.
power chord hack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
Heheheheee... you said Beaver.

...and Muff.

mattpas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoss469 wrote:
Stomp Under Foot has a clone they make, supposedly does an excellent job of recreating it. Plus it's over 25% cheaper than the Devi Ever. Might have to check into that one.

I saw this thread and thought I would reply.
There is a great comparison thread of the Op-Amp here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=8795332
smoss469

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Matt! I preferred the EHX in a few spots and you SUF in a few spots. Oddly enough, I didn't prefer the ICBM on any clip. You aren't making the temptation any easier!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: