The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickup Foam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Pickup Foam Reply with quote

What do guys use for foam under the pickups? I used some foam weather stripping on my jazz bass and no matter how much I stuff in there after a few days, or even hours, it totally collapses. I was going to try tubing on the screws and tried some small engine fuel line but it's too stiff, I suppose surgical tubing would be better.
Mr. Clevername

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still cutting pieces off some rug pad I got 30 years ago . . . maybe there's some new stuff that good, but I dunno.

Surgical tubing for sure, though I got some pink gas line tubing at the hobby shop that works pretty well.

Lately I've been using springs to mount P90's.
TresM (Sir)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this big block of packing foam that my amp was completely shipped in for all my foam needs.
rdkienle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mouse pad cut into peices to fit the route. You can use multiple layers depending on how deep the route is.

RK
gkyhn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think foam weatherstripping will work fine but get closed cell foam. Open cell foam just doesn't offer much support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: