The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects Loop question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmcn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Effects Loop question Reply with quote

Maybe some of you guys can help with this...I have also emailed the mfg. and am waiting for a response. I just purchased a Jet City JCA100H, a Soldano design that is supposedly a Chinese made HR100 copy. It has a tube buffered serial FX loop according the the mfg. and no level controls.

I am running a Digitech Hardwire SC-7 Chorus and an MXR Carbon Copy delay thru the loop. When I engage either or both pedals with the amp on the clean side everything is fine, volume is unchanged. When I kick in the OD side I get a noticeable loss of volume and clarity, versus the OD side with the loop FX turned off. (but still connected) The same thing happens when I hit the front end of the clean side with dirt pedals and activate the loop FX. I have tried several cables and a little load correction device by Radial called the Dragster and get the same results, Any ideas?

BTW, I think the amp's tones are pretty good for the cost ($579 after MF discount and Jet City rebate), but won't get to play a gig with it until next weekend. Thanks for any input...

MM
Structo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea but FX loops can be pretty complex especially on modern amplifiers with tons of switching options.
Even though they state it is a tube buffered loop, I'll bet if you took a gander inside the amp you would see plenty of solid state buggery all over the place.

I just have never found any amp that has the toneful goodness of the amps they made back int he day. Just straight tubes no bull.

Not to say your amp is garbage at all, and if you like what you get out of it, all the better. Very Happy

ReRanch 101 Finishing Tutorial
Guitar Amp Repair
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loop is probably a -4dB loop. This decreases the volume of the signal by -4dB when engaged. An easy way to get that back is to use a Volume Boost pedal, micro amp or similar signal booster pedal.

Loops have always been a bit of a PITA to get right... just got to use what works...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: