The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dedicated sites to winding your own pickups?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Dedicated sites to winding your own pickups? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Im about to start trying my hand at building my own pickups. I have a couple of books on order, have watched a bunch of youtube vids and have spoken to some winders for tips. As with everything I do, I like to have all available information on easy access so I was wondering if any of you ever stumbled upon a dedicated pickup forum? Or something like that? I really can't find anything- just forums like the Seymour Duncan ones that have nothing really on there about winding your own ones.

You'd really make my day if anyone knows of such a site

Thanks

Dave
twangster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave this place is good , also members are a great source for hard to find equipment schematics etc.

Scroll down .

http://music-electronics-forum.com/
ChrisThompson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As twangster mentioned, http://music-electronics-forum.com/f11/

I haven't read it in quite some time. When I did there seemed to be a bit of infighting and "I will not share my secret sauce," and not a share and share alike vibe like reranch.
sonicblue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That forum's left a bad taste in my mouth for some time. I'd say skip it for now -- just buy the pickup books by Jason Lollar, Mario Milan, and Dave Hunter. Those three will get you into it pretty good.

When you're hungry for more, there are ten years worth of archived posts to sift through here:

http://archive.ampage.org/

It's not exactly a goldmine but it's interesting to read posts by some now well-known makers when they were just getting into it.
twangster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found quite a lot of info there from members who went out of their way to send large files of schematics etc.

I agree, there seem to one or two "would be rock stars" in the pick up section.
thierryL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you start winding your own pickups, Dave, you'll see it's a lot of fun once you'll have made a few and figured it out. I'd say the books have plenty of informations to start, as well as these websites above. You can get some more on the Stewmac website with schematics and splitted views of the most common pickups. For pickup parts, I'd say Mojo is very good, more expensive if you have to have your stuff shipped overseas, but better than Stewmac IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/bluestraingeneva/
Tom Pettingill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mojo is very good, more expensive if you have to have your stuff shipped overseas, but better than Stewmac IMO.

I just recently set up an account with Mojo and have been very pleased so far. I'm prototyping some 8 string Tele style lap steel pickups and they had what I needed and offer good pricing. They also offer custom laser cutting of flat work for what looks to be very reasonable rates.
Heavy Air

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I only just noticed this thread got revived!

Ive been quietly winding away for the last month or so, tackling 1 type of pickup at a time. I've managed to get my windings on at a good constant rate- no loose winds anymore! Very Happy

I guess Ive made about 25 or so Singlecoils as of now.

Thats the first time Ive seen the mojo website- looks great! Thankyou for the headsup as I was having trouble finding certain components anywhere but stewmac.

I have a trade account with Allparts in the UK who stock Mojo parts but not any pickup parts (Im actually wondering if its the same Mojo company).

I'll speak to the US Mojo to see if i can set up a trade account and hopefully very shortly there will be some special ReRanch pickups on their way out to people!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: