The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum
This discussion forum is hosted by The Guitar ReRanch and was created to serve those interested in the arcane art/science of guitar refinishing and restoration. Those with all levels of experience are welcomed to participate.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GFS dream 90s vs Kent Armstrong P-90 (TONERIDER rebel 90)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying anything against them at all... When someone asks what kind of pickups are in that guitar... whether selling or just a general question from someone... You always get a look. It is unsaid most of the time but a look none the less. Not my imagination and I do it too so I know. Laughing

On a Gibson or any guitar that has any worth at all... I would not route for anything. Keep it as original as possible.
kojdogg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig Toneriders and GFS pickups for sure. One thing I'd say though is, in my experience, a good way to spend money upgrading a guitar is to put pickups that are perceived as lower quality than stock into it-- even if they cost more than stock and sound better. Unfortunately Toneriders and GFS pickups fall into that category when you're dealing with a Gibson guitar. Kent Armstrongs should too because, IIRC, some of them are made in one of the factories that produce pickups OEM for GFS.

Toneriders and GFS pickups sound really good for the most part (the GFS are hit and miss though-- a really big and seemingly constantly growing product line made by multiple factories is bound to produce some models that don't work for everybody), so if that's your only concern, than let the sound you're going for be your choice. We're dealing with magnets and wire here for the most part-- most/all pickups should cost what GFS and Toneriders do!

Bottom line: If you want to use GFS or Tonerider and plan to/can envision resell at some point, just keep the stock pups.
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current favorite pickups are Dean Time Capsules... Only $79 a pop... allot cheaper than Gibson pickups but have one hell of a growl for a humbucker and hand made in the USA. So, really... I am not all about keeping with the brand. But, there is only Gibson pickups in my Gibsons.
CitizenCain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Dean pickups, anyone tried the Flatheads yet? They look really interesting. Double-screw heads, A2 mags and low windings. Sounds neat, I think. Reminds me of the Ford flathead, a scrappy little tough guy.
Vince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds perfect for a high gain amp! Haven't seen them... will have to look them up.

**Sorry for the hyjack** I would try the Kent Armstrongs or the Toneriders for that matter.....
StevenJM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm not worried about keeping this guitar original, because when i bought the guitar, it came with two dead pickups, a volume pot that didn't turn, and some corroded hardware that i swapped out. i bought a used 80's gibson 500T for the bridge, but never did buy a pickup for the bridge spot.

oh well i put it back to the way i had it.
solemn13

Location: On a lost bound train runnin on Rogaine out of control

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Special came with humbuckers and was routed for P90's. I love the guitar and couldn't believe the deal I got on it. As far as resale I could resell the pickups for almost what I have in the guitar. If you're going to keep it and don't have alot in it go for it. It's just a bit of wood that is covered by the guard and won't affect playability or tone at all. Make it your own. Wink
Muddy T-Bone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Structo wrote:
They are kind of like a single coil on steroids.
In between a single coil and humbucker as far as sound goes.

That's exactly what I love about a great P90.

You could not have said better....
StevenJM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anywhere to buy single tonerider pickups? I really only need one for the bridge. I'm only finding sets.
rjhalsey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenJM wrote:
is there anywhere to buy single tonerider pickups? I really only need one for the bridge. I'm only finding sets.

Send me a PM and let me know what you need. Wink
RH Factor Pickups, Tonerider, Seymour Duncan, Trem King, KMC, Allparts, WD Music, Mighty Mite, Vintage Clone, Fralin, Rio Grande, Lace, CED, Lava Cable, ModTone, Kaces, MojoTone, Klein, Voodoo Pickups
StevenJM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which volume pot should i use with the tonerider rebel 90?

I know single coil = 250K and most humbuckers = 500k, but since p-90s are "somewhere between a single coil and a humbucker" which one works best?

just personal preference? or is there an obvious way to go?

p.s. thanks to ralph, i really appreciate it!
Vic Vega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard P-90 wiring on Duncan site calls for 500's
StevenJM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. the only p-90 guitar i've ever had was many many years ago, and all it did was feed back like a hot microphone so i sold it right away.

i'm excited to get this pickup into my first act paul westerberg.

i took off the plaid pickguard and cut a thin les paul jr-type-of pickguard out of some plastic my dad got me from his work. it looks alright.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum Forum Index -> Pick-ups, Amps and Electronics All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: